< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Starlife Friends on World Party

by wwagar

11 November 1999 19:49 UTC

Dear Hans Starlife,

        As the author of that stupid book, I just want to say that I
applaud what all of you at Starlife are trying to achieve, and I would
appreciate a chance to subscribe to the WCPN.

        I don't know whether you have actually read my book, but it has
often been misunderstood as a set of predictions of the future.  There are
no predictions in A SHORT HISTORY OF THE FUTURE, only scenarios of
possibilities, both grim and happy.  The "Catastrophe of 2044," a
North-South world war, is not inevitable.  But it is possible;  we would
be foolish to ignore such a possibility, especially in light of the
systemic logic of the modern world-system, which has generated many global
wars since at least the 17th Century.  In any event, A SHORT HISTORY OF
THE FUTURE is not a counsel of despair:  it is a warning of what could
happen, if the human race is not able to build a collectively rational
world order;  it also offers images of desirable alternative futures--
a Red Earth and a House of Earth--brimming with hope for a wiser and more
just posterity.

        W. Warren Wagar