< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Dependency theory

by Broome P

07 November 1999 16:45 UTC

So could we describe this as intellectual totalitarianism? Begs me to wonder
just how democratic western society is. Using this line of thought, can
parallels be drawn between the repression of artists ALA Rivera in the US,
and the suppression of the right to peaceful protest, such as that
demonstrated by the police (and presumably the UK government) during the
recent visit by Jiang Zemin to London. Does this tie in with the
globalisation of capitalism - specifically in the controls exerted in
maintaining the conditions for capitalism to prosper?

Someone tell me I'm not being overly cynical...

I've been following the thread of discussion on murals, and though I didn't
know anything about Rivera, I find this extremely interesting. A book of
murals was mentioned by someone - I wonder if they might have the publishing
details to hand?

Regards, Paul.

Paul Broome
Department of Geography