< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: call for definitions... (fwd)

by David Smith

07 November 1999 01:04 UTC

Tried to post this to the list a day or so ago, but the server saw a word
it took for a command at the beginning of a line.  Here's the (very
slightly!) reworded version

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 15:17:08 -0800 (PST)
From: David Smith <dasmith@orion.oac.uci.edu>
To: Oreste Ventrone <ventrone@unina.it>
Cc: WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
Subject: Re: call for definitions...

A couple suggestions on defining "globalization":

First, STATES AND SOVEREIGNTY IN THE GLOBAL ECONOMY edited by David Smith,
Dorothy Solinger and Steven Topik (1999, Routledge)
-- Our introduction is a pretty good summary of some recent definitions
and claims about globalization.  The Arrighi paper alluded to by A.
Blanqui in another response appears in the volume,  Saskia Sassen has a
chapter, Stephen Krasner offers a view of "globalization" closer to
mainstream political science/IR, and, indeed, MOST of the 14 chapters
(including one by Wallerstein) provide some "take" on this debate.

Another very valuable collection: GLOBALIZATION: CRITICAL REFLECTIONS
edited by James Mittelman (1996, Lynne Reinner).

Finally, a short pithy book that critiques overzealous capitalists: HAS
GLOBALIZATION GONE TOO FAR? by Dani Rodrik (Institute for International
Economics).
---------
When folks have this concept all figured out and are ready to write up the
definitive study of "globalization," don't forget the "call for papers"
for the UPCOMING special issue on "Globalization and Social Problems" for
the journal SOCIAL PROBLEMS, which I now edit.  Want more information on
that? Contact me at this address and I will be glad to mail you a flyer...

cheers,

dave smith
editor, SOCIAL PROBLEMS