< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Just to clarify

by Oreste Ventrone

06 November 1999 12:20 UTC

Mr. Madrigal wrote:

   Mr. Ventrone
   How do you know beforehand its a myth when you are still gathering definitions. Strange way of doing research.

Mr. Stokes wrote:

   Dear Mr.. Ventrone,
   By referring to globalization as a myth in the title of your proposed dissertation, you demonstrate that you have formed your conclusions ahead of your research.  The fact that you would be soliciting definitions of globalization suggests, furthermore, that you are at a very early stage in your research.  Doesn't it get boring to do research when you already know the answer?  At least some variations of globalization are probably fanciful and even politically useful, but it does not strike me that you have yet earned the right to draw such a conclusion.
R. Stokes

    Dear sirs.
    I have to excuse myself for the poverty of my "call for definitions". I strongly appreciated the honesty of your reproachs, but I don't think I deserve them.
    I am currently finishing my dissertation, not beginning it, and if I'm still looking for definitions, this is only to provide the reader with the widest range of definitions I can. Of course, I already had collected many of them.
    However, when you wrote that "I demonstrate that I had formed my conclusions ahead of my research", you are partially right. I don't think that our individual and collective interests and concerns are casual. The very choice of any "object" of analysis implies assuming it as problematic. Problematic for someone. Can we approach this "object" with a tabula rasa mind? Aren't our hypotheses preliminary conclusions? I don't think we can free ourselves from the particular interests, concerns and biases that drive our research work. Must we? The "honesty" of our work, I believe, is in the measure in which we succeed in unveiling them and putting them to test against the greatest number of other analyses expressing other particular interests, concerns and biases.
    Nonetheless, the success of a perspective doesn't depend always on its internal coherence or explanatory power. Ideas don't spread by themselves, in virtue of their properties. All narratives are constructed to serve particular interests or concerns. Moreover, the power to select, adjust, redistribute narratives is never evenly distributed. So, I think that the success (popularity) of a particular narrative among the others is strongly influenced by its compliance with the representational  needs of hegemonic power. Why globalization narratives are more popular than e.g. world-systems analysis or regulation theory? Do they depict better, on an average, our present world? Some analyses that use globalization as keyword to refer to the processes we are experiencing are indeed very sophisticated and helpful. I don't address my criticism towards them. But globalization has come to be presented more and more as having mythical properties, like destiny or god, something inevitable, inhuman, not made by humans. Something, good or bad, we have to cope with. Something we can't stop or reverse. Many scholars successfully ride this juggernaut by contributing in some way to the myth construction. For an "authoritative" example, see:
 http://www.globalpolicy.org/globaliz/define/irresfrc.htm
    Others indirectly reinforce it by unquestioningly assuming it as big picture in which to place their particular micro analyses. Is it useful at all to use globalization as buzzword given the dangerous implications?
    Personally, I specially appreciated the way Philip McMichael addressed the matter in his book Development and Social Change, Pine Forge Press, 1996.

  Best regards,

                                 Oreste Ventrone