< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Andre Gunder Frank & Marx

by Elson E. Boles

01 November 1999 21:54 UTC

Remember, Marx argues (also in Capital I) that the
> shift from slave-labor to wage-labor is only a MERE change in appearance
> and is not, under a system based on the production and appropriation by
> private material interests of surplus-labor, fundamentally different,
> which they would be if Marx was making a modes of production argument,
> wherein it is the articulation of modes that is a key feature of the
> character of surplus production--Marx makes no such argument. Indeed, he
> emphasizes that the surplus-labor only appears more directly as unpaid
> labor under the slave mode of exploitation, as well as variable capital,
> since all labor is appropriated directly, in contrast to wage-labor where
> unpaid labor is distinguished through the monetary exchange of time and
> wages. Again, there is no fundamental difference. Marx clearly argues
that
> chattel slavery in the US South was capitalist production, and, of
course,
> it was.
>
> Andy Austin

However, this argument about "MERE" changes in appearance, also made by
Wallerstein, is only one-half of Marx's point: to show that the other forms
of production are fundamentally conditioned by the "specifically capitalist
mode" (wage-labor/factory form of capital), are part of the circuit of
capital, therefore  part of the world-economy (not feudalism) -- which is
the point IW stresses against the "modes of production" people who, unlike
Marx, see slavery etc. as not part of capitalism proper.  They misread
Marx, as I think has  been clearly shown by IW.

The other half of Marx's point however, is not simply the necessary
relation (via the single division of labor) among the forms.  It is rather
that the wage-labor/factory form of capital is quite different than the
other forms that it calls anew into a transformed existence "mere
travesties" of their former selves.  This is spelled out in the
Introduction to the Grundrisse quite nicely, and if I had a copy of it
nearby, I'd quote it.  IW stops short of taking the next step, if because
he is, as stated in his vol. I, interested in the entire structure, not the
specific forms.  The outward appearance of the different forms (modes) is
less important than their content with respect to entering into the
circuits of the totality of the world-economy.  However, given that they
are part of the world-economy, in terms of its actual historical
development, the specificity of the various forms of capital is quite
important, as Marx argues.

Hence, so much ink (the three volumes) were devoted to this form and its
logical limitations.  Until such an analysis was sufficiently completed,
the historical relation of the forms and historical development of the
world-economy, could not be (and was not) fully understood and written
about.  Indeed, it can only be  done in small manageable chunks due to the
details that have to be investigated (archives, etc.).  I referred to
Tomich's work as an example of how this can be done with a quite historical
and sophisticated framework, one which shows, for instance, the "slave
nature of capital, and the capitalist nature of slavery" while at the same
time showing the local specificity of the world-economy and the
world-historical nature of slavery and events.