< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Marx and the capitalist world economy

by Elson E. Boles

01 November 1999 21:21 UTC

But the "whole discussion" isn't about the origins of capitalism.  All
these non "capitalistic modes of production" were part of the transition,
but they continue on to the present.

Andy Austin's contribution is evidence supporting the point that Marx
doesn't seem to have argued that modern slavery, etc., is a form of
capitalist production, but rather that slavery, etc. are earlier forms
recalled into existence, and their content (surplus-value creation)
transformed, as they were "drawn into the whirlpool of an international
market dominated by the capitalistic mode of production."

Anyhow, people get too bogged down in the formalistic "modes" stuff and
seem to neglect another key point, found in the German Ideology" which is
to explain "ways of life."  Ways of life, for Marxists and
world-systemists, are fundamentally shaped by the commodity form of social
reproduction but are also shaped by and shape experience and agency.
elson

On Monday, November 01, 1999 1:37 PM, Ricardo Duchesne
[SMTP:RDUCHESN@admin1.csd.unbsj.ca] wrote:

> Elson Boles Wrote:
>
> > I think this oversimplifies Marx's views.  Certainly he noted that
slavery
> > was necessary for the modern factory.  But he doesn't seem to have
argued
> > that modern slavery is a form of capitalist production.  This is where
Marx