< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Andre Gunar Frank & Marx

by Elson E. Boles

30 October 1999 21:59 UTC

Pennefather's critique of Frank is at least as old as Brenner's of
Wallerstein.  I highly recommend reviewing Wallerstein's "Marx and
Underdevelopment" in Unthinking Social Science, which provides sufficient
evidence that among Marx's views, he held a world-systems perspective
insofar as he rejected the idea that nation-states are independently
developing units.

Not that all that is worthy must measure up to Marx.  I don't think so.
 But rather that a great deal of Marxism has overlooked this key element of
his thought which has led to "much spilled ink and blood."

On the other hand, I agree that the analysis of the historically specific
forms of the core-periphery relation is what is missing in IW's seminal
work, which, nonetheless, in my view is among the, or possibly "the", more
profound contribution(s) since Marx.  But a direction I also find
theoretically fascinating is that outlined in the Introduction of Tomich's
in Slavery in the Circuit of Sugar.  Check it out.

Elson E. Boles
Assistant Professor, (Historical) Sociology
University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma
(405) 574-1243
facbolese@usao.edu

On Saturday, October 30, 1999 1:48 PM, George Pennefather
[SMTP:poseidon@tinet.ie] wrote:
>  << File: ATT00003.txt; charset = Windows-1252 >>  << File:
ATT00004.html; charset = Windows-1252 >>