< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Andre Gunar Frank & Marx

by George Pennefather

30 October 1999 18:47 UTC

I have been spending some time reading Andre Gundar Frank's book called Capitalism and Underdevelopment in Latin America. It makes for interesting reading especially in the context of my interest in developments in Colombia.

I am drawn to the way in which he conceives capitalism as a global system and thereby as the valid unit of analysis.It is an indispensable perspective for any serious attempt to comprehend developments within the capitalist system. It is a view to which I have tended too eve if not in quite the same way.

I like the way Andre subjects the dualistic conception of the world to criticism. I too am of the view that one cannot dichotomise the social relations of production of a South American country and even a sub-Saharan African country. I am of the view that such economies exist within the world capitalist system and form "a component" of such a system.

However where I principally differ from Andre is in his gross omission of the principal categories of Marx's critique of political economy. The concepts of value, capital, equalisation of the rate of profit and the law of the tendency of the rate of profit to fall are conspicuously absent from his critique. His relationship to Marx is an ambiguous one. It is never clear where Andre stands in relation to Marx's critique of political economy. Marxists but not Marx are explicitly subjected to criticism in his book.

I agree that there is some truth in the conception that the capitalist system of production consists of  centre and  periphery. I tend to agree that this centre, to exist, must have an underdeveloping periphery. However the central problem, in my view, is not the identification of this relationship. The central problem is the identification of the character of that relationship. The central task is the identification of how this relationship emerged and develops. In short it is critical that revolutionary communists outline the specific forms by which the centre/periphery relationship exists --the conditions for the existence and development of that relationship.

In Marx's Capital the general rate of profit, the equalisation of the rate of profit and the law of the tendency of the rate of profit to fall are principal social forms by which capital accumulates and expands. For Marx the law of the tendency of the rate of  profit to fall is the driving force behind the expanded reproduction of capital. It would seem to me that if Andre rejects these central aspects of Marx's critique then he should make it clear as to why he does. If he were to engage successfully in such a critique of Marx's Capital then the form in which he endeavours to outline the centre/periphery link or hierarchy  present itself in a more plausible light.

Now perhaps Andre has already completed such a critique. If he has then someone this list might inform me of this.

Warm regards
George Pennefather

Be free to check out our Communist Think-Tank web site at
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~beprepared/