< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

A Lesson To Learn about Petition for Women in Afghanistan

by RANDALL BURTON

29 October 1999 16:04 UTC

By way off hindsight lessons to learn, I think we should all take note that
when petitions or appeals for money are circulated on the Internet the first
thing that should be done by the person championing such efforts is to
VALIDATE the source and the process by which it will be accomplished.

If this is done properly, it will prevent people who take the time and
effort from feeling "burned" and thus become less likely to help when future
campaigns are undertaken.

Also, we should be aware that as far as I know there is no such thing as a
legal electronic petition.  Such appeals are strictly advisory and are
rarely given much credence by agencies.  I say this with great sadness, as
it reflects a huge unrealized resource for activists.  Note also that the
current cost to collect legal petition signatures from registered state
voters in the U.S. is about $1.50 per each.  And about 20% of collected
signatures are later disallowed by the registrar's office due to voter
record discrepancies.

Further, I know of no responsible relief agency that collects money via
Internet; due to legal issues (i.e., wire fraud).  Also, if one gives money
to an agency that does not provide a publicly accessible INDEPENDENTLY
AUDITED FINANCIAL REPORT, one is taking a large chance of being swindled or
having most of the money spent on overhead rather than going to direct aid.
The newspapers are full of reports about just such events.

We all want to do the right thing and help where we can but I regret to say
that the Internet as a tool for achieving this continues to fall short of
being an effective means for practical action; even though it remains a good
"talking shop" venue which is a necessary precursor for right action.

Your thoughts on this issue are greatly appreciated.

Randall Burton
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA