< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Development aid and world system

by Asko Ojaluoto

10 October 1999 20:07 UTC

  Hi wsn receivers,

  Because I'm pretty new on the list, I don't know how much this issue have been under discussion earlier, but hopefully someone can respond.

I have been planning some study about development assistance (or development cooperation as it is in Finland nowadays called) and I'd be interested in historical sociology and especially world system perspective, which actually is one part of story. After all it seem obvious that development aid's history is closely linked to power politics and world's economic history. Maybe real problem to solve, is to find out is there any real idealism behind the development aid and has it brought any "progress". At least many believe so, and perhaps it's easier to think so in nordic countries, where aid isn't so clearly linked to power politics and economic competition. But naturally here too, development ideology follows those big international organizations (UN, IMF, WTO, EU) politics.

  So, I really like to know what our respectable system thinkers have been said and say about development assistance, and it's meaning and history in capitalist world system. If some one has some other thoughts and ideas (even not critical) about development aid, I hope that these opinions too can be heard.

   I'd also appreciate information about text (books, articles; can be send directly to my e-mail) relating to issue.

   Asko Ojaluoto
   student of history and sociology
   university of Oulu
   aojaluot@nettilinja.fi

  PS.  Russia (under capitalism) is widely ignored in this list at this moment, even there is propably going to happen some changes in near future.