< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

please post: list on comparative urbanization: COMPURB-L

by Mark Douglas Whitaker

09 October 1999 09:40 UTC

[Hello--what follows is the welcome message for the list I have been
hosting on comparative urbanization. It was started almost two years ago
from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. It has maintained a widely
international  subscriber base around 200.  Please read or pass on to those
you know would be interested. I posted this around year ago to the list. I
am interested in seeing if there are some additional people who would find
this a resource. Thanks, Mark Whitaker, listowner COMPURB-L]

Welcome to COMPURB-L!

COMPURB-L is devoted to the developing of interest and the sharing of
information on something which has been basically a crucible of
human/environmental history for the past 10,000 years--the effects of
urbanization. Why then a separate list devoted to comparative urbanization?
Because COMPURB-L list members simply wish to focus more attention upon the
urban form in an interdisciplinary and theoretical vein.

Firstly, its political economy, structural and cultural changes, issues of
governance, social movements, environmental relationships--all are seen as
a fruitful methodology for historical and sociological study which overlap
many disciplines. This can simultaneously provide insight into our past and
our present experience, whether in a strict theoretical sense or in a
critical vein.

Secondly, this list for comparative study can help to formulate a much more
rigorous model for 'comparative urban studies.' As many I am sure are
aware, what has passed for 'comparative' and 'international' in scope in the
literature was typically an exploration into 'European' urbanization or was
geared towards examining the process of 'democratization' or
'capitalization.'

        In the spirit of a keynote address, I offer the following ideas to
generate some guidelines for discussion.  I foresee four major threads
being stitched together in this list:  the historical, the sociological, the
philosophical, and the methodological. The point is that the phenomenon of
urbanization can  serve as an organizing principle of these areas.

HISTORICAL

The historical component would deal with developmental issues of
urbanization from any epoch. What are the effects on human cultures
comparatively speaking as they undergo urbanization? What differences would
counterpoint useful factors? What are the environmental effects of
urbanization? Are they the same for urban cultures worldwide, in all
epochs? What differences would elucidate the process of urbanization?
Taking into consideration that ecological degradation has historically been
the handmaiden to urbanization, where do we 'go' now that much of the world
is urbanized and the dialectic of expansion and urbanization is nearly
ended as a cycle? What will occur sociopolitically at such a point? The
historical will be concerned with data and empirical bases of the following
areas.

SOCIOLOGICAL

The sociological component has been explored extensively in urban
sociology, especially within the past 20 years, yet it has not been
utilized as a comparative methodology in a structural and spatial sense
except in rare occasions.  What forms will our social lives take and what
will structure those lives?  What are the sociological ramifications of
urbanization? What makes them different (if they are) from other forms of
organized communities? What drives urban planning policies?

PHILOSOPHICAL

Other component disciplines which I anticipate can donate (and take) much
from looking at comparative urbanization studies are: economics, geography,
political sociology, anthropology, environmental history, ecology, world
history, philosophy of history, environmental sociology, the sociology of
economic change, cultural studies, the history of technology, and nomadic
studies (for cross cultural comparison and economic change questions).

METHODOLOGICAL

The list will of course be interested in extrapolating comparative
information from the phenomenon of urbanization, taking it as a premise
that variations can teach as much as patterns, particularly considering
that societies are social processes with many interrelated forces,
interests and exclusions seemingly embedded in the fabric of social and
urban space.  How can further research be structured to explore variations
or patterns?    Interesting examples of how already existing research has
been conducted, as well as recent examples, will be of interest.

REJOINDERS

Though I have established this list with a scholarly, theoretical, and
applied intent on comparative issues, by no means is that tacitly
discouraging those interested in other questions to avoid querying for
information or supplying their viewpoints. That is the point of the list.
If we are unable to handle critique or information 'outside accustomed
channels,' there is something wrong.  Comparative studies should be
inherently interdisciplinary, and the list depends upon those of diverse
backgrounds contributing their special share to develop a useful framework
of study. The point of the list is the discussion of the value of what
should go into this comparative framework. So as you host I am suggesting
you ask these questions: What heuristics can enlighten urban study?  Are
there any examples/counterexamples which would be useful? Why is this
important in comparative issues and where could it take the inquiry? In the
applied sense, what problematics could be endemically urban phenomena, and
what courses can be taken? In the applied sense, I expect the list to be a
useful resource for urban and regional planning interests, for comments and
questions which widen the channels of available information for
those interested/concerned with urban planning issues.
        The sharing of information and the weighing of its utility are going
to go hand in hand.

Though the list is established to be a forum for exchange for
theoretical/applied issues dealing with the urban form, historical process,
 and social organization, the urban form is only the grander organizational
 point for dealing with the wider effects of social structure in discussing
human interaction, and ideological and tangible cultural production
processes in history--how we process the urban site culturally, and how the
urban site processes and qualifies our repertoire of activities,
associations, life paths, and creative action (at least that is my
particular interest.). I would invite and appreciate anyone interested in
'nomadic' peoples to sit in on this group as a 'gadfly' and keep us from
making any urban specific generalizations which are unwarranted. I also
invite people to explain areas where they have found a dearth of
information and expected more. Sometimes that is more interesting than
finding a wealth of information, since it helps explain different
disciplines' methodologically 'normal' pathways and suggests other
approaches.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

WEBSITE

A website will be maintained at www.sit.wisc.edu/~mrkdwhit/compurb-l/.
This will be mostly for three areas--(1) the sorting of a bibliography
compiled through the participants suggestions of what they find useful in
discussing comparative urbanization issues, or (2), what they feel will
expand the reach of such studies which have yet to occur. (3) As I find the
time, I will web post many of the conference and funding sources which have
been forwarded to the list. I encourage you to post a short commentary
about a work you have recently read, or a path-breaking methodological
approach. Anyone with expertise in the area of web publishing should feel
welcomed in offering their advice or services as the pages are updated.

ARCHIVE

The list is archived. See the below attachment for receiving the aggregate
archive file.

ROUTER FOR CONFERENCES, FUNDING, REVIEWS, ETC.

Over the past year, this list has become a major router for conference
announcements and potential funding sources dealing with urban issues.
Occasionally, it has book reviews forwarded as well.  If you have any
additional information related to these areas, the list would be an ideal
way to notify a wide public from many different backgrounds with an
interest in urban issues. As of October 9, 1999, there are 203 members from
a worldwide geographic and institutional base.

LANGUAGES

        Personally, I have the use of  English and French.   I have
forwarded many reviews/posts in both English and/or French, as I know there
are more than a handful of  subscribers from Canada and French who would
find it potentially useful.
         On the whole, this list has so far been conducted in English,
however. This is less a calculated policy, and more a result of default
languages that have been used in posting. Personally, I would like to see
the list expanded into several languages. I would welcome this, even if it
means English speakers might feel alienated, though I am unsure why this
would be. The way I see it, if a coterie of non-English speakers--in
addition to the English speakers-- find the list useful for themselves,
then the utility of the list is expanded for all members.  I would invite
bilingual or non-English monolinguals to subscribe because the list is
international in its base. I am sure English is a second language for many.
        Particularly, if there is someone who wishes to take on the role of
German editor/scout for the list please contact me.  This would entail the
forwarding of messages to me that they find interesting, which I would post
to the list.
        With the expansion of German visibility on the lists of the
internet (at least from my perspective), I am sure there is something
interesting I am missing, since, if it were left to me, I would
unfortunately be unable to read it and pass it on to the list members who
did speak German.
         In the interests of making the list more useful for everyone, I
welcome those who would feel more comfortable using a native language.

TO SUBSCRIBE

When you subscribe, please, it certainly would be conducive to discussion
if you addressed a short message to the list introducing yourself, your
affiliations, and any articles/books which you have read which have sparked
your interests in this area. This will also help create a useful group
resource in the bibliographic pages.

If this message is forwarded to you, subscribe to the list by addressing a
message to 'majordomo@ssc.wisc.edu'. Within the message body, type:

        subscribe compurb-l

The address for posting messages to the list is:  compurb-l@ssc.wisc.edu

Thank you.

Mark Whitaker
University of Wisconsin-Madison
list-owner for COMPURB-L
mwhitake@ssc.wisc.edu
list posting address: compurb-l@ssc.wisc.edu

Some helpful commands for utilizing the list's services:

In the description below items contained in ]'s are optional. When
providing the item, do not include the ]'s around it.

Majordomo understands the following commands:

    subscribe <list> [<address>]
        Subscribe yourself (or <address> if specified) to the named <list>.

    unsubscribe <list> [<address>]
        Unsubscribe yourself (or <address> if specified) from the named
<list>.

    get <list> <filename>
        Get a file related to <list>.

     get compurb-l compurb-l
        Get a single aggregated file for the archived messages. Large file.

    index <list>
        Return an index of files you can "get" for <list>.

    which [<address>]
        Find out which lists you (or <address> if specified) are on.

    who <list>
        Find out who is on the named <list>.

    info <list>
        Retrieve the general introductory information for the named <list>.
    lists
        Show the lists served by this Majordomo server.

    help
        Retrieve this message of commands if you forget them.

    end
        Stop processing commands (useful if your mailer adds a signature).

Commands should be sent in the body of an email message to
"Majordomo@ssc.wisc.edu".

Commands in the "Subject:" line NOT processed.

If you have any questions or problems, please contact
"Majordomo-Owner@ssc.wisc.edu".