< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Running out of oil?

by M A Jones

27 August 1999 00:07 UTC

OK, so I shouldn't be intemperate. However, it is pointless to continue a
discussion when we are not starting from a real investigation of the facts.
And to say that

>But right now,
> many millions of people are miserably deprived not because there is not
> enough oil for their energy or food for them to eat, but rather because
> capitalism A) won't let them have it; and (B) won't even produce what they
> need if they believe that they can't make a profit from it.

is to fly in the face of the facts. There is no such availability of oil.
More. Each English person metaphorically stands on about ten tonnes of
steel - the accumulated, written-down asset-base of 250 years of
industrialisation; each year British quarries mine several times more rock
for hardcore and concrete than is contained in all the pyramids of Egypt.
The same is true of core-states generally. There is no possibility
whatsoever of the billions who live outside the cores which are thus endowed
with infrastructure, EVER catching up. The biosphere cannot support it. You
would need to have at least five other planet earths parked alongside this
one, to accommodate such a  gigantic ecological footprint. It is simply out
of the question for India, China or Africa to ever achieve standards of
personal or social wealth anywhere within orders of magnitude of those known
in the cores (which, obscenely enough, are still growing!). And the ice caps
are melting ANYWAY.

And these irreducible constraints hold even BEFORE you start to look at the
question of oil scarcity and its impacts. Thus if oil (or coal, or tar sands
or whatever) was burnt in amounts sufficient to make the peripheries as
energy and food-rich as the cores, then climate catastrophe would be
irreversible, would eliminate life on earth. But it cannot happen anyway
because without the existence of cheap petroleum to cross-subsidise all the
other forms of energy, from PV's to windpower to tar sands, these
alternatives can never be more than marginal irrelevancies. And there is no
such superabundance of cheap oil. Therefore, the following are surely
certain: (a) deepening climate dislocations and catastrophes; (b) growing
energy-famines and (c) the entry of the world-system as presently
constituted into an ungovernable and uncorrectable historical impasse. What
happened to one major industrial subset (the USSR and its satellites) of the
system was a precursor and forewarning.

Mark Jones