< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: The biological goal of the human mind

by John Till

25 August 1999 16:58 UTC

Matthew Horning wrote:

>Since the nature of life is that it survives, is it not a necessary
>conclusion that the goal of the species is to survive?

This may seem like a very minor if not pedantic point, but it's actually
quite important to most evolutionary biologists: we don't see species or
life itself or genes as having a goal. Terms like "goal" imply
intentionality or design. Although a minority of biologists in this century
believe in intentionality/design (e.g., deChardin -- who not surprisingly
was an ANTHROpologist -- and Monod) the core paradigm within the discipline
is that evolution should be described in terms of differential reproduction.

Many biologists today focus on genes (or clusters of genes) -- as opposed to
whole organisms or species -- as the level at natural selection takes place.
Biologists disagree on the extent to which differential reproduction of
genes is continuous or pulsatile.

Ironically, Richard Dawkins, one of the popularizers of sociobiology, has
been one of the clearest exponents of "the blind watchmaker" paradigm (the
non-intentionality of differential reproduction of genes). It is very
interesting that Jay has not mentioned him in the discussion at all, since
Dawkins' notion of "memes" -- gene-like concept units that use brains to
reproduce differentially -- has generated considerable attention in popular
discussions of social knowledge and behavior.

[Of course, Dawkins theory -- first articulated in the final chapter of *The
Selfish Gene* -- can be criticized as idealist and functionalist. But at
least for a sociobiologist, it could offer some mediation between genes and
culture.]

John Everett Till