< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

HELP THE VICTIMS OF THE EARTHQUAKE IN TURKEY

by Okay

24 August 1999 19:52 UTC

I'd appreciate it if you could distribute this information using
a distribution list that's handy.  Thanks in advance.  Regards.
Nesrin

>The extent of the devastation in Turkey is huge.  The effect was minor in
>our immediate area in Istanbul.  Nobody was harmed.  Worst-hit areas are
>80-100 km east of us.  Because communication was slowly established, it
>took us a long while to piece together the big picture.  We are humbled by
>the scale of the devastation and overwhelmed in light of the challenges
>ahead of us. 45,000 people are estimated to be under collapsed buildings.
>1 million people are without shelter and means for survival.
>
>An excellent alternative is to support AKUT -- very credible local NGO
>founded by mountain climbers.  They proved to be better prepared than the
>arny and the government in dealing with the disaster.  You can send US $
>wire transfer to:
>
>Account number: 364 711
>AKUT
>IsBank, Galatasaray Branch
>Swift code: ISBICTRIS-1022
>
>Since sending a Wire Transfer is likely to be a lot trouble
>for many of you, I am appending information about other alternatives.
>We believe we, and AKUT, can convert cash into goods most in need
>faster than others.
>
>> HELP THE VICTIMS OF THE EARTHQUAKE IN TURKEY
>>
>> >Option 1: Turkish Embassy
>> >Option 2: American Red Cross - Tax-Deductible
>> >Option 3: T.C. Ziraat Bank
>> >
>> >In reaction to the devastating earthquake in Western Turkey, Turkish
>> >Embassy, Turkish-American Organizations & Turkish Student
>> >Associations have started a campaign for relief in the US.
>> >The following options are available for your donations.
>> >
>> >OPTION 1:
>> >
>> >MAIL YOUR CHECKS TO:
>> >-----------------------------------------------------------
>> >TURKISH EMBASSY
>> >2525 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
>> >Washington, DC 20008
>> >
>> >Instructions: Make your check payable to: "TURKISH EMBASSY"
>> >Write in the memo section: "Earthquake Victims Relief Fund"
>> >------------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> >FOR WIRE TRANSFERS:
>> >------------------------------------------------------------
>> >Riggs Bank NA
>> >Embassy Banking Division
>> >Washington, DC 20036
>> >
>> >Account Name: Turkish Embassy Earthquake Victims Relief Fund
>> >ABA     # 054000030
>> >Account # 17300827
>> >-------------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> >OPTION 2:
>> >
>> >FOR CHECKS: AMERICAN RED CROSS (TAX-Deductible Option)
>> >-------------------------------------------------------------
>> >American Red Cross
>> >P.O. BOX  37243
>> >Washington, D.C
>> >
>> >Instructions: Make your check payable to: "American Red Cross"
>> >Write in the memo section: "Turkish Earthquake Relief"
>> >--------------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> >CREDIT CARD OPTION: (TAX-Deductible)
>> >---------------------------------------------------------------
> [...]

BOUNBOUNBOUNBOUNBOUNBOUNBOUNBOUNBOUNBOUNBOUNBOUNBOUNBOUNBOUNBOUN
Nesrin Okay, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Bogaziçi University
Department of Management