< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

self-reliance (fwd)

by md7148

24 July 1999 21:37 UTC

>Another interesting example of "self-reliance within" comes from the
>feminist movement. Apart from the Lesbian option (de-linking from male
>chauvinists in bed), there is feminist self-reliance within the existing
>system.
>As a matter of fact, in countries like Canada, this strategy of women's
>collective self-reliance-within-the-system has had noticeable legal,
>political, social
>and economic succe[Asses. (I am not saying "complete success".)

in the case of lesbian option, i would suggest "withdrawal" in addition to
de-linking (rhetoric thematized as male chauvinists versus ideal
community of female lovers). these sisters, too, however, are
constrained by systemic imperatives, despite their claims to the contrary.
the lesbian identity, presented in the media as well as in sub-cultural
contexts of participants such as bars, clubs, sex industry
related consumer magazines(pornography), is an example of capitalism
creating its own difference and desire.

self-reliance is also becoming a popular concept among grass-root
activists in many developing countries. to what extent they are succesfull
or anti-systemic is another question, of course.

mine doyran
phd candidate
suny/albany
graduate school-rockefeller college