< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Durability as a means of conservation...is not quite enough

by Nieuwenhuijs,RG (pg)

16 July 1999 18:01 UTC

Dear Tom O

	I definitely admire the gist of what you say, but you seem to take
	an idealist stance, which I find problematic.  There are real
material
	reasons for the existence of capitalism, and people are caught up in
this
	system through very real daily struggles.  I just have a big problem
with
	the notion that changing ideas will change material conditions.

	Secondly, abolishing sovereign entities is problematic.  This is
	firstly because resources are not distributed equally across regions
(I
	mean this in the geographic sense).  Secondly, capital endowments
	(social and physical) are currently so unequal that there will be
huge
	regional inequalities if local entities are created, with the
potential for local
	elites to abuse their power and exploit.  In other words, your view
of
	localization may simply make the existing sovereign entities smaller
but
	not remove the problems that exist in the current sovereign
entities.  Neo
	liberals also want to remove (or at least minimize) the role of
sovereign
	entities to ensure the maximization of capitalist exploitation.  I
strongly
	oppose this view, with the idea that entities are needed to at the
very least
	regulate capitalism and ensure equal opportunities and rights for
all.  We
	need to alter these entities to make them structurally more able to
resolve
	conflicts between different power groups in a manner that minimizes
the
	exploitation of one group over another.  Simply put, people act in
certain
	ways not because they are inherently bad, but they operate within
certain
	structures, so changing these structures will at least <facilitate>
more
	equitable outcomes.

	Maybe our fundamental disagreement is between reform or
disintegration
	of the status quo. Considering the huge percentage of the world
living in
	absolute poverty and severe lack of access to resources, advocating
	disintegration of sovereign entitites might be the last thing that
is needed
	(witness the disastrous consequences of IMF/World Bank structural
	adjustment programs).  We (in Europe and in North America) may
	sometimes forget that we live in relatively affluent societies, and
have a
	large surplus to draw upon to 'experiment' with alternative forms of

	organization.  Most of the world does not have this luxury, which
makes
	the costs of possible failure extremely high (since survival is at
stake).
	These potential costs, even though they are potential, lead me to
	advocate a certain degree of caution.

	Good intentions you certainly do display, but good intentions have
often
	led to disastrous outcomes in the very poor areas of our planet (in
which
	most of the world's population lives).

	Some of the things I have just written have been written and
discussed
	many times before, so I apologize if I'm repeating old ideas.  But,
I just
	wanted to get them out.

	Robert Nieuwenhuijs