< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Durability as a means of conservation...is not quite enough

by Bagelhole1

16 July 1999 05:15 UTC

In a message dated 7/16/99 3:56:51 AM, durable@earthlink.net writes:

<<Our economy needs to find an alternative kind of
income for people to depend on since wages and paid jobs will nearly
disappear
when the automation revolution is over.>>

Hello,
          I would like to enter the discussion here. There are many good
ideas, but a few things seem to be overlooked. Like political realities.
The
capitalist system perpetuates an exploiters (small group of gov't,
corporate,
criminal/CIA interchangeable people) and exploited class (masses). All
under
the guise of "democracy". People are gulled into allowing and tolerating
such
an intolerable system, by the exploiters controlling the information to a
large enough extent (mass media). Individuals let their entire lives be
sucked to the bone thru voluntary enslavement (jobs) for at least 8 hours a
day, 5 days a week, until they are no longer capable or viable as workers
(65
or older). Mostly, because they feel there is no other choice.

There are plenty of real solutions, but they will not come to be, because
they would upset the status quo, and those who control, will not allow
that.
That is why the above statement, " Our economy needs to find an alternative
kind of
income for people to depend on since wages and paid jobs will nearly
disappear
when the automation revolution is over." seems unrealistic.

Besides the imposition of capitalism (based on a bad idea of pitting one
against another, competition as opposed to mutual co-operation, looking out
for one another). There is one other thing that IMHO, needs to go. That is
the existence of "sovereign entities" (gov't., nations, dictatorships,
corporations, institutions). They take on the properties of a living thing,
in that, once they exist, they need to stay alive, perpetuate themselves,
be
strong, grow. Thus, we have imperialism and wars, not to mention
boundaries,
borders, and bureacracies, and many other bad things like espionage and
torture.

People are so conditioned and brainwashed (acknowledge that our schools
teach
a very slanted and false history to our children, glorifying nationalism
and
militarism), that they actually think we couldn't exist without governments.

I propose, a radically different way for our world to be structured, 180
degrees the opposite of what exists today: small, autonomous,
self-sustainable, mutually co-operative, non-sovereign (open/fluid),
communities/neighborhoods interacting organically. Utopic? That just means
you like it, because it is not impossible at all.
Human nature is a problem? I don't think so. Look to yourself for human
nature. We are all capable of acting anywhere from a saint to a devil and
anything in between from moment to moment. The only true thing you might
say
about human nature (IMHO) is that it is highly adaptable.

How do we bring this about? We could start right away by making yourself
and
your neighborhood as self-sustainable as possible, utilizing low-tech
methods
available to everyone. There is a website established for this purpose
<A
HREF="http://bagelhole.hypermart.net/">http://bagelhole.hypermart.net/</A>
(awaiting volunteer webdesigners to fix it up and make it "truly
effective",
some from this list).

If the world should give way because of Y2K or any number of possible
future
disasters, all we have to do is be fully prepared (sustainable
neighborhoods
globally, before 2000). Sounds impossible? Maybe, but the idea is that by
accessing this free, humanitarian, non-profit website, one could become
relatively self-sustainable within 1-3 months, regardless where in the
world
you might live.

Well, that's enough, I hope this isn't boring or seem simplistic to you.
Would be interested in what others think.

                                Kind Regards,

                        Tom O (bagelhole1)