< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: kosovo

by Pat Gunning

09 July 1999 07:57 UTC

immanuel wallerstein wrote:

> july 8, 1999
>
> dear wsn network,
>
> you may be interested in my latest commentary, which is on kosovo.
>
> yours/immanuel wallerstein

> ------
>                    Comment No. 19, July 1, 1999
>
>                "The Clinton-Milosevich Chess Match"
>
>                                           by Immanuel Wallerstein
>
>      The whole world has been watching the Clinton-Milosevich
> chess match since the beginning of 1999. In early June, most
> commentators seemed to believe that Clinton has won, and hand-
> somely. Clinton proclaimed victory. So did his NATO allies. So
> did a large percentage of the world left, which is highly im-
> pressed with the demonstration of U.S. military power. Milosevich
> said that he won, but most people, including most people in
> Serbia, seem to think this is simply silly.
>      I believe assessment should be far more prudent. For one
> thing, the game is not over until it is over, and we are still
> in the middle of it. In the second place, assessment of chess
> moves should always be made in terms of alternatives. So let us
> look at the alternatives, as of the time of the Rambouillet
> meetings. The Rambouillet meetings were convened by the NATO
> powers in order to impose a "settlement" on the Kosovo crisis.
> These days, there is endless reference to the Rambouillet agree-
> ments, even in United Nations resolutions, but in fact there were
> no such agreements. There were basically three participants at
> Rambouillet: the Yugoslav government, an Albanian delegation
> (comprising both the KLA and Rugova), and certain NATO governments
> (who behaved as a relatively cohesive group at the meeting).
>      What happened at the meeting was that the NATO powers
> drafted a set of terms and asked the Yugoslavs and the Kosovars
> to agree to them. What is now forgotten is that there was not one
> set of terms but two successive sets. The first set was accepted
> by the Yugoslavs and rejected by the Albanians. The second set
> (the set now referred to as the "Rambouillet agreements") was
> accepted by the Albanians and rejected by the Yugoslavs. Neither
> set was accepted by both parties. It is after the second failed
> agreement that the NATO powers gave their ultimatum to Belgrade,
> and then invaded.
>      Let us look in more detail at what these terms were. The
> first set provided for withdrawal of Yugoslav troops from Kosovo,
> and the entry of a NATO force into Kosovo. These terms Milosevich
> accepted, or at least swallowed. The Albanian delegation
> demurred. They told Mrs. Albright that the terms had to include
> a referendum on independence. She added this clause, providing
> for one in three years. The NATO powers then added as well a
> secret annex (secret to the rest of us, but of course not to the
> Yugoslavs) providing the NATO troops with the right to enter at
> will the rest of Yugoslavia other than Kosovo. This Milosevich
> was not prepared to swallow.

> [...]

Although you mention moral responsibility only briefly, your decision to
mention it at all without also telling the role of atrocities by the
Serb government and now, to a lesser degree, by various Kosovars
detracts from your overall message.

Regarding your hypothesis about Clinton's "real objective," how do you
think Clinton could gain by locking "the Europeans into a renewed NATO
and [preventing] the
emergence of a European army outside of NATO"? Or do you think that
Clinton is driven by some other motive besides personal gain?

--
Pat Gunning
Web pages on Subjectivism, Democracy, Taiwan, Ludwig von Mises, and