< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Which Marxism? (fwd)

by elson

07 June 1999 06:10 UTC

> Marx was writing for German readers when he wrote that in the preface of a
> German edition of Capital. He was telling Germany that in England's
> development they were seeing their future. Is Germany more or less like
> England than say Haiti is like England? Marx and Engels, in their
> globalization thesis, arguing that the world would be made over into a
> capitalist world. They were right about that. Two for two. Your criticisms
> are common textbook strawdogs.

That KM thought that cap was expanding globally is not the issue.  Indeed,
when he wrote capital, and certainly by 1900, the entire globe had become
incorporated into capitalism.   Obviously, Haiti isn't like Europe, and
that's what the issue is.

You can't possibly be contending that Marx had a theory of underdevelopment?
The bulk of his work suggests the contrary (that he did not anticipate that
capitalism would come to be defined as having a tripartite c, sp, p
structure).  The idea that the rest of the world -- not just Europe -- would
be made in England's image has been pushed hard by orthodox Marxists,
including people like Bill Warren.   I'd hardly call this genre of Marxism a
"textbook strawdog."