< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Which Marxism? (fwd)

by elson

07 June 1999 05:50 UTC

> >orthodox Marxist view.  SCP in the core doesn't fit with KM's
expectations
> >of the spread of factory wage labor.
>
> First, what do you mean by "orthodox." Second, in what way does SCP not
> fit with Marx's expectations? As I recall he recognized the fact of small
> commodity production and forecasted that in the future it would diminish.

The orthodox Marxist view, as opposed to a WS reading of Marx, is that SCP
would not just diminish, but would (through the "iron laws of necessity") or
should (as a matter of praxis) be replaced by wage labor.  Hence, for
example, the creation of state farms in the USSR to replace what was
theorized by many of the orthodox Marxists (until people like EP Thompson,
Rude, etc., among intellectuals, and people like Mao among activists) the
"reactionary" and "conservative" peasants or kulaks.  There was a deep and
divisive debate with Marxism over the "agrarian question."

> Does SCP dominate today over industrial production? Is SCP the dynamic
> logic of the system?

No one ever suggested it was.  The point is, SCP was supposed to be replaced
by monopoly capital; and it hasn't.

> If it isn't then I don't see how its presence presents a problem for Marx.

I don't see how either, but because Marx is dead.