< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: mechanisms of core wealth

by Jeffrey L. Beatty

28 May 1999 10:36 UTC

At 10:37 PM 5/27/99 -0700, elson wrote:

>Pat, you just don't get it.
>Most people on this list -- I imagine nearly all who follow world-systems
>analysis -- realize that the "free market" economic bullpucky that
>you are peddling is a load of hogwash at best, and at worst, poor
>ideological
>dribble that simply justifies the immorality of capitalism.   You ought to
>debate free market ideas on the Milton Friedman Network or the Paul
>Samuelson Network.  That's the bin it belongs in.
>
>I write this comment after having about seven long exchanges with Pat
>on the side.  I finally gave up.

Hey, hey--I find myself uncomfortable with this attempt at an ideological
"purge" of the list.

It ill behooves people of the left--most of the participants on WSN, I
daresay--to inflict McCarthyism on others when they themselves have
suffered from such tactics.

I will not pretend that my relationship with the individual in question has
been tranquil.  I fear my experience with him is similar to elson's.
Nevertheless, I consider it inappropriate to suggest that anyone leave the
list simply because of his/her theoretical position.  I have resisted
attempts at such "purging" on IPE, the CSF list where I surface most often,
and I now do so here.

I see no posting guideline indicating that this list, although dedicated to
discussion of a particular political economic tradition, is open only to
adherents of the tradition.  Thus, as long as posters do not disrupt the
list and respect others right to post to the list, I see no reason the list
cannot be multiparadigmatic.

--

Jeffrey L. Beatty
Doctoral Student

(o) 614/292-2880
(h) 614/688-0567

Email:  Beatty.4@osu.edu

"Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis."
                         Ralph Waldo Emerson