< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: System overthrow or reform ?/Neither, thank you

by EDT

18 May 1999 05:04 UTC

In a message dated 5/18/99 3:16:30 AM, igfr@peg.apc.org writes:

<<SYSTEM OVERTHROW OR REFORM ?
The World System is in a precarious balance, as evidenced by the
disasterous deviations from peace and security this century - the two
World Wars, the Korean and Vietnam Wars, genocide in Armenia,
Europe, Kampuchea, Rwanda, major famines in China, Biafra, Bangladesh,
Ethiopia, Sudan etc, the nuclear arms race, and the threat of
accelerating ecological deterioration, to name some of the worst
examples.

To ‘overthrow’ a system is highly risky.  We may not end up with the
intended alternative, and may possibly end up with something much
worse than we have at present.  The noble experiments of
Communism in the Soviet Union and China demonstrate this.

Instead of calling for the overthrow of neoliberal economic
globalisation, a general ideology, to be replaced by community-based
economic development, another general ideology, we need to set
targets for environmentally sustainable and socially just economic
development, and bend the economic system (eg through regulation
and innovative market mechanisms) so that it meets those targets.
This is the global process which could be said to have officially begun
at the 1992 Earth Summit, but which has so far been unacceptably
slow, weak and largely ineffectual.

The problem is, or course, that targets are constantly being set (eg to
eradicate poverty), and constantly failing to be met.  How else can
pressure be brought to bear on the captains of capitalism other than to
work for the overthrow of a system and an ideology ?

Hello, just waking up? Overthrow? Can you bell the cat? Noone's gonna
overthrow the system. Gonna fix it? No, you can't fix it. Are those the only
2 alternatives?

What if the system just finally falls, because its unsustainable? Maybe y2k,
maybe financial collapse, maybe weird weather, melting icebergs, war. Its a
shaky thing, no one can deny. What about preparing for the fall. Y'know Egypt
had an empire for 3000 years, totalitarian. It fell one day. Why not prepare
for its fall, say within 7 months possibly. If there is a power vaccuum, the
most brutal always take control. Why not lay the groundwork now for a
sustainable, non-violent, mutually co-operative, decentralized, non-sovereign
(except the individual), society 180 degrees the opposite of this. That is
one that is sane, non-polluting ( only crazies foul their own
nest),self-sustainable.

Do we really need a government to manage our affairs? Governments tend to
corrupt every time. Why can't we work together to uplift the standards for
everyone? Via the internet. Where no one need to starve or be homeless or
alone and unsupported. Look within yourself, and see if you wouldn't trade
the possibility to own things infinitely for a world where everyone has the
necessities and all the luxuries are shared and available. Where
relationships take precedence over owning things. Where there is no economy
or jobs. People just do what they want. The conditioning has to be reversed.
But that's not as hard as it seems. Trade competition for cooperation. Its a
good deal. It may sound utopian or idealistic to some and it is, but it is
also doable and sane.

The bridge from here to there is thru making neighborhoods and communities
self-sustainable, not dependent on corporations, consumerism, money,
government. Imagine, that everything you need was within walking distance.
That you didn't have to sell yourself, your life, your integrity, your
energy, your blood, your time to survive. This system is all about waste.
Waste in every manner conceivable. The other way is about not wasteing
anything. Synergy. The byproduct, you might say, is freedom.

These are not new ideas, people have been thinking about them for centuries.
But, maybe, now the time is approaching, finally, for manifestation. If we
can break through the human wall of idiocy and pass through the hole in the
bagel.

			One Bagel, one bagelhole for all,

		          Tom O (bagelhole1)

			<A