< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Don't blame the doctor-- (alsoknownas"Don't Shoot the Messenger.") (fwd)

by md7148

14 May 1999 15:15 UTC

>Aysen, I am making a distinction between demand and supply.
>Entrepreneurs and capitalists are suppliers. Perhaps the following is
>the best answer to your question. I am assuming that people want bread
>in order to survive. People want drugs for their pleasure. And people
>want guns in order to rob others or to protect themselves from robbery.
>Absent the opportunities for robbery, there will be no demand for guns,
>in the sense that I am using the term "guns" here. If there is no
>demand, there will be no supply.

pat, thanks for your distinction between demand and supply. i think i
am pretty much aware of it. what i am asking is the relevancy of this
distinction under a capitalist economy when it comes to gun selling and
buying. i am talking about a particular commodity not just an ordinary
item. to what extent does "gun purchasing" constitute an "actual" demand?
do we know the percentage of the people in the US or anywhere who posses
guns?

regards,

Mine Doyran
phd candidate