< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

CHINA PETITION (For NATO Citizens)

by Peter Grimes

12 May 1999 04:18 UTC

     Please do not delete this petition; if you haven't the time
to read it, please append your name and pass it along to those
who might.

     We, the undersigned, would like to express our sorrow,
astonishment and outrage at the NATO bombing of the Chinese
Embassy in Belgrade.  The "official story" of the bombing
resulting from outdated maps strains belief.  In the event that
it is correct, then we reach 2 logical conclusions:
     1)   If NATO cannot guarantee that its targeting is
accurate, then it is not competent to conduct the war at all, and
should immediately cease hostilities.  This targeting 'mistake'
is the latest and largest in a growing series to which NATO has
already admitted error.  These have combined to take far too many
innocent lives for us to retain confidence in the NATO targeting
procedure.  Just as we are concerned about guns in the hands of
children, so we are equally concerned about bombs in the hands of
incompetent or careless commanders.
     2)   The United States should punish the individuals in
appropriate command responsibility, and compensate both the
Chinese government for the loss of its property and the families
of those Chinese individuals whose loved ones were hurt.
     We, the undersigned, heartily apologize for the actions of
our government and of NATO toward the Chinese Embassy, and reach
out in friendship to the Chinese people.

     Please add your support by:

1.  Appending your name to this petition to President William
Clinton and Secretary of Defense William Cohen.

2.  Forwarding this petition to as many individuals as possible.

If your name on the petition is #50, #100, #150 ... please
return it to:
                      pgrimes@jhu.edu

Petition to:  The President of the United States of America,
William Clinton, and US Secretary of Defense, William Cohen.

Note:  It is best if you highlight the text in its entirety and
copy it onto a new outgoing message, add your name to the bottom
of the list, then send it on.  Thanks.

1. Peter Grimes, Baltimore, MD., USA