< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: STATEMENT BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT (fwd)

by colin s. cavell

12 May 1999 03:00 UTC

For some reason (Chris Chase-Dunn may be able to answer this) my posting
below was not sent out on the WSN listserv today, although it appears in
the WSN Archives as having been received at
Tue, 11 May 1999 16:30:09-0400 (EDT).  Am thus resending it out so that it
appears to the list.

csc

Pat,

That the judgement as to whether the US/NATO bombing of the Chinese embassy in
Belgrade was either a "mistake" or a deliberate provocation is "pretty easy to
make" on your part is understandable, Pat, given your continuous and systematic
apologetics of US imperialism on the World Systems Network listserv which first
began on April 23 with your reply to Peter Grimes.

There are many reasons why the US would want to intimidate and/or provoke China.
For example, as you yourself state in your defense of Taiwan
(http://www2.cybercities.com/g/gunning/taiwan/us_pcy.htm#Is Taiwan Part of China?):

     Let us take it for granted that the U.S. has chosen to be the world's police
     force, as its laws and past policies seem to reflect. Then, it should
     contain the PRC and protect democracy in Taiwan with a clear and open policy
     to that effect. Given Taiwan material wealth and the U.S. capacity to
     produce weapons, the direct cost to the U. S. citizens should be minimal.

On the other hand, one can interpret the bombing of the Chinese embassy as a
warning to China to back off on its principled criticisms of the US/NATO war on
Yugoslavia.  For example, Li Peng, Chairman of the National People's Congress
(NPC) of China, stated on March 30
(http://www.peopledaily.com.cn/english/features/Kosovo/txt/3102.html):

     China firmly opposes NATO's military actions against Yugoslavia, he said. The
     air strikes by NATO forces constituted a grave violation of the
     international norms, infringed upon the sovereignty of Yugoslavia, worsened
     the Balkan situation, and endangered peace and stability in Europe.

     China has always held that the internal affairs, including the ethnic issue, in
     any country should be solved through appropriate approaches and foreign
     countries should not interfere. While valuing Greece's policy towards Kosovo
     problem, Li called for unremitting international efforts to ease the
     situation in Yugoslavia, and that in the Balkan region as a whole.

     China opposes hegemonism and power politics, including the acts of
     interfering in the internal affairs of other countries under whatever
     pretext or in whatever form, the Chinese leader reiterated.

Also, the bombing could well be the result of a deliberate attempt to silence a
particular reporter.  As China's People's Daily stated in its article entitled "Top
Chinese Paper Accuses NATO of Creating Humanitarian Disasters"
(http://www.china.org.cn/ChinaEmbassy/ehtml/990511/990511-22.htm):

     Six days prior to her death in NATO's barbaric raids against Chinese embassy in
     Yugoslavia, Shao Yunhuan, a correspondent with Chinese official Xinhua news
     agency, wrote an article entitled " When will NATO Stop its 'Accidental
     Mistakes'?", in which she angrily questioned:  "With its continued air raids,
     how many more 'mistakes' will NATO make? How many more innocent civilians in
     Yugoslavia will be killed in these 'unavoidable mistakes?'"

     The commentary pointed out that as a matter of fact, the cruel nature of
     aggressors was exactly to inflict calamities upon peaceful people. The
     flagrant attacks against the Chinese embassy in Belgrade were completely out
     of NATO's deliberate calculations. They also exposed NATO's aggressive nature.

The truth is, Pat, that much of the world does not believe that the US/NATO
bombing of the Chinese embassy was a "mistake".  The Times of India, perhaps,
stated it best in today's paper (http://www.timesofindia.com/today/11edit1.htm):

     President Bill Clinton's `apology' will not convince many in Beijing to
     forgive and forget, especially since he continues to justify the illegal
     bombing of Yugoslavia and says such `accidents' as the attack on the embassy
     are `inevitable'.  To claim, as Washington has done, that the Chinese
     embassy was mistakenly targeted because of an intelligence error, is to
     stretch the limits of credibility to breaking point. According to the US, the
     real target was the building of the Yugoslav arms procurement agency.
     However, given the type of targeting technology NATO has been using -- with
     high resolution satellite imagery supplemented by visual confirmation on the
     ground by its `human intelligence resources' (i.e. spies) -- it is hard to
     believe the precise location and shape of the Chinese embassy and all major
     diplomatic premises were not known to it beforehand.

In an AP story in the Washington Post
(http://search.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WAPO/19990507/V000016-050799-idx.html) on
the day of the attack, Goran Matic, a Yugoslav minister, stated:  "Now I would like
to see how NATO will justify this," Matic said. "It was a deliberate targeting of
the Chinese embassy. It's high time to end this madness. Everybody has to sit and
talk."  Little did Matic know at the time that the US would attempt to write it
off as just a "mistake".

And here are some additional articles of what others are saying about the "mistaken"
intentionality of the US/NATO bombing of the Chinese embassy:

Nato Explanation Unacceptable: FM Spokesman
http://www.china.org.cn/ChinaEmbassy/ehtml/990511/990511-72.htm

DPRK Slams NATO Missile Attack on Chinese Embassy
http://www.china.org.cn/ChinaEmbassy/ehtml/990511/990511-91.htm

Laos Condemns NATO Attack on Chinese Embassy
http://www.china.org.cn/ChinaEmbassy/ehtml/990511/990511-89.htm

NATO's Raid of Chinese Embassy Deliberate: Paper
http://www.china.org.cn/ChinaEmbassy/ehtml/990511/990511-61.htm

Cuban Official Condemns NATO's Attack on Chinese Embassy
http://www.china.org.cn/ChinaEmbassy/ehtml/990511/990511-45.htm

Indian Parties Condemn NATO Attack on Chinese Embassy
http://www.china.org.cn/ChinaEmbassy/ehtml/990511/990511-11.htm

The Chinese Embassy in Belgrade Was Attacked by the NATO Missiles (photos)
http://www.china.org.cn/ChinaEmbassy/ehtml/990508-24ct.htm

And, Pat, am including as well the following note from David Kessel which was
posted to the PSN listserv this afternoon. David's shock, nay outrage, speaks
for many, I believe, though you are free, Pat, to go on and continue to believe
in US/NATO "mistakes", e.g. "the train just appeared on the bridge"; "the bus
just appeared on the bridge"; "the missile just inadvertently flew off into
Sophia, Bulgaria"; "the hospital was collateral damage", "the column of refugees
looked like Yugoslavian troops"; "the column of refugees again looked like
Yugoslavian troops"; "we were using old maps"; etc.; etc.