< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: globalization from below

by Thomas Tarfa

03 May 1999 23:47 UTC

Social Movements Respond to Globalization

The making of people-centred economics through people power is a right
actions to  make change to the sobbering of the disaffected majority in the
globalization process. Walden Bello suggests that globalization of people
instead of the currently
prevailing globalization of capital. he and others also strongly argue that
civil society should focus on the welfare of the global population than
profiteering nature of the new world order. According to their argument, the
engine of
the new world order is the capital profitability
doctrine and does not consider the people at large, and in fact marginalise
the poor.

They also advocate Keynes's notion of "minimising economic entanglement
among nations", which in nutshell is meant to boost entitlement capability
and fringe
benefits to the people, and hence improve the income distribution. By and
large, the argument is the people should benefit from growth, and the
investment pattern should focus on improving the welfare of the public than
simply biased towards profit-orientation. A real economy, according to the
social movement advocates, is the economy that is reaching to the people,
improve income distribution, create jobs, and environmentally sound.

For doing so, they uphold the development of democratic processes and
national governments rights and responsibilities to draw public welfare
favoring economic policies and programs, primarily based on national
finance. But the current national policies and programs are mailny derived
by the attempt to attract capital, get recognition from the IMF. Finance is
not at all national in nature, rather foreign dependent in most countries.
The reliance on the responsibilities of the government in public welfare
improvement is not itself convincing. The public welfare advocates blame
the IMF and its policies for perpetuating poverty than contributing solving
it, and according to them IMF even worsen the situation of the poor. Call
for the cancellation of debt to the poor countries. They oppose WTO since
it favors the economically powerful countries at the expense of the poor
nations.

But the main issue is that: are the social movements condemnations of the
current globalisation of capital in favor of globalisation of people
actionable?  At the outset, the simple answer is no. To explore a bit
further, the social movement group are in the process of drawing "strategic
gameplane" to counteract the present reality. Will those strategies be
implemented and by-whom? Will the current beneficiaries give in for the
world welfare improvement and environmental sustainability? There are
difficult questions that need answers for their plane to succeed.

The globalisation of capital has a very strong foundation and profound
support from the powerful groups, both within politics and outside. Capital
export, capital profitability, and hence globalisation of capital is an
ideology with a very deep and strong root that cannot easily be removed by
the social and public welfare improvement advocates, accompanied by
environmentalists and naturalists support. In the economically powerful
west, capital (money) and its power is not only an economic ideology but
also developed it to a system and "money culture." No notion of humanity
and morality of public welfare advocates had strong place in it. It is
even difficult to deal the widening income gap and unemployment in the
west, let alone addressing the world wide public welfare situation through
globalisation of people.
No capital investing giant cares to analysis or understand the 'economic
Achilles Heel' of globalisation of capital. Over accumulation of capital
breeds over production of goods and declining profitability inducing
further expansion of capital theming for profiteering to the areas it has
never reached before. This will not increase the welfare and the income
distribution of the newly explored areas, rather worsen inequality.

The "people power" should not be underestimated does not sink in the minds
of the greedy profit seekers, nor the economic and political pains of the
poor as long as they can make profit. In all these, we learn why the world
wags and what wags it in the globalisation process: money/capital and the
greedy drive for profiteering. Humanism and morality advocates have no
strong base, let alone radically transforming the system.

The solution attempt of the people-welfare activists needs dealing with
unprecedented problems, and asking unshakable (unaskable) questions under
the present world economic order. A powerful impetus also lies with the
capital globalisation advocates, not with that of people globalisation. The
social movement group's call exhort to undertake profound reforms, changes,
and bold measures to undermine the current globalisation of capital that
took "titanic activities" nature, and replace it with welfare-and
environment-oriented globalisation of people. Care for each other as a
world community? It requires inexhaustible fount of vital forces and
existing systems to change, and will face tremendous challenges in
different spheres. It does not dint a capacity to build confidence in the
morrow to face the shackles-all difficulties and trial to be in 'store' for
poineers.  Seems a positive hope and out look for the world, any way.

Temesgen muleta-erena,
Thames valley University, London