< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: human rights and national sovereignty/ is an oxymoron

by Pat Gunning

01 May 1999 05:00 UTC

Bagelhole1@aol.com wrote:

> I just jumped in here by chance, but how sad, to encounter such a hopelessly,
> uninformed and naive statement. All governments corrupt. If they are not
> corrupt now ( which they all are), they will be. You know, "Absolute power
> corrupts absolutely". So, if you want a quick route to world totalitarianism
> set up a "World gov't.". No, there is only one real solution, IMHO, the
> opposite of what exists today, 180 degrees. That means the end to all
> sovereign entities. Sovereignty is what should not be tolerated, much less be
> promoted.
>
> Sovereign entities are responsible for war, humger, and torture. Yet you
> tolerate them and accept them, take them for granted just like the air you
> breathe. What is the bridge from here to there (violence to justice)? Laying
> the groundwork for self-sustaining, mutually co-operative, non-sovereign,
> consensus-based, small communities is the proactive, grass-roots way, which
> the progressive community hasn't figured out yet. Because idiocy rules in
> every group and throughout the world. That is why I expect this to be largely
> ignored. But every once in a while, the swine are fed pearls.

Tom, have you considered federalism? This is a world government in which
the world police force and perhaps military, restricted by a world
constitutional court and public sentiment, assures basic rights such as
freedom of speech, press, exchange, ownership of legitimately-acquired
property against confiscation by member states, and migration. The
federated states retain the right to tax and spend so long as they abide
by democratic principles and uphold the basic rights.

--
Pat Gunning, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman
Web pages on Subjectivism, Democracy, Taiwan, Ludwig von Mises,