< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: National Sovereignty

by Carlos Alzugaray Treto

01 May 1999 02:36 UTC

Pat, the historical record in region where I live is quite clear. Trujillo,
Duvalier, Somoza, Batista, Pinochet were all the result either of U.S.
military occupation or intervention.

Many of the cases you cite are open to a lot of interpretations. I would
posit that the Japanese political system is more the result of the internal
development of its institutions than of any outside intervention. The same
could be said about post-war Germany. South Korea had to suffer Syngman
Rhee, supported by the U.S., for many years. One can even wonder if it were
not for U.S. support if Rhee would not have been overthrown before. What is
the soverignty case in Taiwan?. Hong Kong is so special that it can be
considered an exception.

The Soviet Union suffered a foreign intervention during the early years of
the civil war and was defeated. Hitler came to power through elections which
nobody could question. In my opinion no foreign intervention could have
stopped him. China is one of the countries of the world which has suffered
more foreign intervention. Whatever you might think of the history of the
People's Republic, it has now the best government China has ever had and I
do not think that there is any doubt that it is not the result of foreign
intervention.

To call the Vietnamese war for reunification a Northern aggression against
the South is quite a misrepresentation of the historical record.