< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: National Sovereignty

by Pat Gunning

28 April 1999 09:31 UTC

"Charles J. Reid" wrote:

Charles, I think that you took my remark out of context. If a law is
immoral and made only on the basis of expedience, it does not deserve to
be obeyed after conditions change, when it is no longer expedient to
have it. Also, the police should not respect it. This does not imply
that _all_ laws are immoral, do not deserve to be obeyed, and should not
be respected by the police.

I support some parts of international law; I object to others. This is
one of the rights of a free people, namely, to appeal to a higher
morality in order to evaluate a law. Another right is to revolt if a
law is oppressive, although having a right does not mean that a
revolution is wise or can succeed.
--
Pat Gunning, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman
Web pages on Subjectivism, Democracy, Taiwan, Ludwig von Mises,