< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Copy of: [Fwd: A Letter to the Editor: LEGITIMATE MILITARY TARGETS](fwd)

by colin s. cavell

28 April 1999 02:24 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 23:27:02 -0400
From: Minja Veljanovic <minja@compuserve.com>
To: SRPSKA KULTURA© <srpska_kultura@4Cbiz.net>
Subject: Copy of: [Fwd: A Letter to the Editor: LEGITIMATE MILITARY TARGETS]

       --
____ CP||CKA KY/\TYPA ____ No. 875  Poruka od:  Minja Veljanovic <minja@compuserve.com>

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From:	Hadzipesic Dusica, INTERNET:dhadzipe@EUnet.yu
DATE:	26.04.99 05,50
RE:	[Fwd: A Letter to the Editor: LEGITIMATE MILITARY TARGETS]

Juce sam, u ime mog brata Ivana, zapalila svecu u tasmajdanskom parku...
[Yesterday, on behalf of my brother Ivan, I lit a candle in the Tasmajdan
park]
(Tasmajdan = a park nearby TV Belgrade, downtown Belgrade; it also borders on
the V Belgrade's Gymanasium where I spent four years - MV)

Dusa

Mili moji drugari,

Evo sta sam danas poslao mojim kolegama povodom bombardovanja (moje)
televizije.

Ivan

[ My dear friends - this is what I have sent today to my colleages,
regarding bombing of (my) Television]

A Letter to the Editor: LEGITIMATE MILITARY TARGETS

TV stations, a presidential residency, bridges, a tobacco factory, a car
plant...

NATO says that these are all the "legitimate military targets".
I guess, next on the list are the theaters, museums and cinemas. I believe
that soldiers in all countries do go to see movies and visit exhibitions.
Therefore, those are again the legitimate military targets in Yugoslavia.
If NATO can bomb the TV station because it doesn't approve its editorial
policy, why not to level other places that might, through their programs,
influence people's opinions or attitudes.
Free press?  Forget it!  Your editor should better consult the supreme
editor-general at the NATO headquarters regarding the articles you would
like to publish. Otherwise, the building in which you are sitting might
become the legitimate military target.
This nightmare has gone too far.
The main question is what the future rules of the game in the international
affaires are going to be?
If NATO, who cares about the U.N. anymore, doesn't like certain radio
program, well some general in the Brussels could press a button and send a
missile to destroy the station. Or, if NATO disagrees with a policy of the
president of an independent country, F-18s could bomb his bedroom declaring
it as the legitimate military target.

>From the very beginning, the NATO's explanations of its “Balkan storm”
objectives were on very shaky legs.  NATO has attacked an independent
country that didn't endanger any member of the alliance. NATO didn't seek
the approval of the  U.N. Security Council. Furthermore, NATO has never
stopped changing its military objectives. At first, it was the Rambouillet,
than to demolish and diminish, after that - the refugees, than Milosevic as
a collateral damage.

Now, NATO has started killing journalists and technicians because they are
also the “legitimate military targets”.

For almost ten years I was working as an editor and prime time TV news
anchor for the Radio Television of Serbia. I was expelled from the station
in 1993 because I didn't want to write and read the lies. I left Yugoslavia
the same year because I didn't want to live in that environment anymore. I
couldn't dream that I am moving into the world where the editorial policy
should comply with the decisions of the supreme editor-general. Orwel's
“1984” now looks to me as a kindergarten fairytale.

Ivan Brzev
Vancouver, Canada
e-mail: ibrzev@direct.ca

                                __
      SERBIAN CULTURE CULTURA SERBIA SERBISCHE KULTUR LA CULTURE SERBE
              CEPbCKAYA KY/\TYPA CULTURA SERBA SRPSKA KULTURA
               Poruke na listu CP||CKA KY/\TYPA posaljite na
                         srpska_kultura@4cbiz.net