< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: More on Violations of International Law (fwd)

by colin s. cavell

28 April 1999 00:16 UTC

Pat,

First, I must correct you by pointing out that I did not write the passage you
attribute to me below.

Second, as regards the specific questions you address to me, my answers to the
first two questions are:  "No", thus eliminating the necessity to respond to the
third question.

As regards your fourth question, it obviously assumes that you are addressing me
as the author of the paragraph you refer to below, but as I am not that author, I
can only respond to your question in general.  Your opinions are entirely
subjective and not based upon any factual evidence or, at least, not any
presented or indicated.  Also, your mindset is entirely encapsulated into a
less-than-complex philosophical framework such that you speak of "When
people are known to be unreasonable" as if we can all agree on what behavior is
reasonable and that which is unreasonable without referring to any standard
from which we may be able to judge and act.  For example, in the present US/NATO
war on Yugoslavia, it is my understanding that the US is "unreasonable" and
"criminal" in accordance with international law, US national law, and, indeed,
the NATO Treaty itself (viz. UN Charter, Ch. I, Arts. 2.3, 2.4, Ch. VI, Art.
37.1, Ch. VII, Art. 51; the Kellogg-Briand Pact, the Pact of Paris, of 1928; the
relevant Geneva Conventions as well as the jurisprudence elaborated at and the
precedent set by the Nuremberg Tribunal against war crimes; the US Constitution,
Article 1, section 8, clause 11; and the April 4, 1949 North Atlantic Treaty,
Arts. 1, 5, and 6).  Secondly, you state that NATO's "actions are surely defensible
from a moral point of view," basing your morals on some unspoken principles.  But
whatever principles your morals are based upon, if any, they are most assuredly
different from those I adhere to, for, from my vantage point, the US/NATO war on
Yugoslavia is entirely counter to the basic principles of sovereignty which has
governed the international system at least since the 1648 Treaty of Westphalia
and which have subsequently been incoded into international law as basic
principles of the UN Charter.  And, to my knowledge, such principles have yet to
be transcended through mutual agreement amongst member states; in fact, agreement
is not being sought through peaceful, nonviolent means in the present case; on
the contrary, the US juggernaut is attempting to establish its imperialist dictate
on the basis of force, violence, murder, bombing, violation of law, coercion,
threats and intimidation.

As regards the particular paragraph you cite below, I suggest you find the
posting from which it is derived and contact the author directly.

Colin S. Cavell                       But when we see that the three classes
University of Massachusetts           of modern society, the feudal aristocracy,
Department of Political Science       the bourgeoisie and the proletariat, each
Thompson Tower                        have a morality of their own, we can only
Box 37520                             draw the one conclusion: that men,
Amherst, MA  01003-7520               consciously or unconsciously, derive their
VOICE:  (413) 546-3408                ethical ideas in the last resort from the
INTERNET:  cscpo@polsci.umass.edu     practical relations on which their class
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~cscpo  position is based -- from the economic
                                      relations in which they carry on production
                                      and exchange.
                                      --Frederick Engels, "ANTI-DÜHRING: Herr
                                      Eugen Dühring's Revolution in Science,"
                                      Part I, Ch. 9 (1878)