< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

CFP - Hierarchy and Power

by Andrey Korotayev

24 April 1999 16:45 UTC

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
"HIERARCHY AND POWER IN THE HISTORY OF CIVILIZATIONS"
June 15 - 18, 2000, Moscow

SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT
AND CALL FOR PAPERS AND PANEL PROPOSALS

The Center for Civilizational and Regional Studies of the Russian
Academy of
Sciences in co-operation with The Institute of Cultural Anthropology
of the
Russian State University for the Humanities is organizing in June
2000
International Conference "HIERARCHY AND POWER IN THE HISTORY OF
CIVILIZATIONS".

The Conference objective is to discuss the processes of the
politogenesis in
their regional and temporary variation. This discussion, in its turn,
could and
should promote the advancement of the understanding of the general
trends and
mechanisms of sociocultural evolution, the interrelation and
interaction of
social, cultural and political dimensions in the society, and further

development of general methodology for anthropology, cultural
studies,
sociology, political science &c.

Until recently it was considered self-evident that just the formation
of the
state marked the end of the primitive epoch and alternatives to the
state did
not actually exist. All the stateless societies were considered pre-
state ones, standing on the single evolutionary staircase squarely
below the
states. Nowadays postulates about the state as the only possible form
of
political and sociocultural organization of the post-primitive
society, about a
priori higher level of development of a state society in comparison
with any
non-state one do not seem so undeniable as a few years ago. It has
become
evident that the non-state societies are not necessarily less complex
and
efficient. The problem of existence of non-state but not primitive
(i.e.
principally non- and not prestate) societies, alternatives to the
state as the
allegedly inevitable post-primitive form of the sociopolitical
organization
deserves attention.

The example of alternatives to the state reveals that it is possible
to achieve
the same level of complexity allowing societies to solve similar
problems, on
essentially differing pathways of evolution which appeared
simultaneously with
human society and increased in quantity alongside with its
social-and-cultural
advancement. This fundamental alternativity of social evolution could
be
observed throughout the whole length of human history from
non-egalitarian and
egalitarian early primitive associations to the totalitarian and
democratic
polities of the 20th century and is already found in pre-human
"egalitarian" or
"despotic" primates groups.

The choice of an evolutionary direction which a society follows is to
considerable extent a result of its all-round adaptation to the
environment, not
only the natural but sociohistorical one as well. The "type of
civilizational
development" seems to be one of the key notions, capable to help to
reveal
essential backgrounds of societies and systems of them,
civilizations.

The following two main sections are suggested:
1) "Civilizational Models of the Complex Sociopolitical
Organization".
Convenors: Dr. Dmitri M. Bondarenko,
Prof. Andrey V. Korotayev.
2) "Ethological Basis of Hierarchy and Power in Human Society".
Convenor: Prof.
Marina L. Butovskaya.

In addition to the two main sections, we are planning to organize a
few panels
("Hierarchy and Power in Pre-colonial Tropical Africa", "Hierarchy
and Power
among the Nomads", "Socio-Cultural Evolution: Factors and Models",
"Power and
Secrecy", "Hierarchy, Power, and Religion", "Mental Backgrounds and
Models of
Politogenesis", "Hierarchy and Power in the Highlands" &c). Any new
panel
proposals are strongly invited.

Deadline for panel proposals: September 1, 1999.

Deadline for paper proposals (with abstracts [within 300 words]
enclosed):
December 1, 1999.

If you would like to take part in the Conference, please, let us know
your full
name, title, institutional affiliation, full mail and e-mail
addresses, and fax
#.

As soon as we receive your abstract, we will send you the list of
documents
necessary for applying for the Russian visa. Their fax copies will
also be
necessary for us, for, according to current Russian regulations, we
must support
your application for the visa at the Russian Ministry for Foreign
Affairs. In
order to ensure your getting the Russian visa in time, we will have
to submit
the application with all the copies of the respective documents about
half a
year before the beginning of the Conference. That is why we do ask
you to
contact us before the deadline (December 1, 1999) if you are
interested in
participating in the Conference. We hope this will not become an
unsrmountable
obstacle for you to come.

The registration fee ($100 which includes the culture program,
Conference book
of abstracts, reception, coffee-breaks, &c.) payment, is to be paid
on the spot.
Accommodation (at the Russian State University for the Humanities
Hall of
Residence) is $50/35 per night. Estimated meal and other daily
expences are c.
$10.

Prof. Igor V. Sledzevski, the Conference Co-Convenor
Dr. Dmitri M. Bondarenko, the Conference Vice-Convenor
Mr. Dmitri D. Beliaev, Ms. Veronika V. Usachyova, Ms. Galina I.
Saprokhina,
the Conference Secretaries
Center for Civilizational and Regional Studies of the Russian Academy
of
Sciences
30/1 Spiridonovka St.
Moscow 103001
RUSSIA
FAX: + 7 (095) 202 0786
EMAIL: dbondar@inafr.msk.su

Prof. Gregory A. Tkachenko, the Conference Co-Convenor
Prof. Andrey V. Korotayev, the Conference Vice-Convenor
Prof. Marina L. Butovskaya, the Conference Vice-Convenor
Institute of Cultural Anthropology of the Russian State University
for the
Humanities
6 Miusskaya Ploshchad (Korpus 2, Etazh 2)
Moscow 125267
RUSSIA
FAX: +7 (095) 250 5109 (for Institute of Cultural Anthropology)
EMAIL: andrei@rsuh.ru
(Dr) Andrey Vitalyevich Korotayev, Head
Laboratory of Social and Cultural Anthropology
Institute of Cultural Anthropology
Russian State University for Humanities
6 Miusskaya Ploshchad
Moscow 125267, RUSSIA