< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Kosovo paradigms

by Kevin J. West

15 April 1999 22:28 UTC

Richard,
I agree that we must critically examine actions taken in the name of
humanitarianism, and we should be doing so in this instance. But let's also be
wary of the sweeping historical statements.  You say that great powers always
act in great powers' interest and never in the interest of suffering humanity.
It sounds like a universal covering law.   But if that were the case,  would
power ever change hands?  And there would never be any evidence of any real
humanitarianism to counter pose against the phony, self serving
"humanitarianism" that some believe the US is putting forth purely for
propaganda purposes.?

Great powers and small powers and both are made up of people who have many
interests, often competing, and they often don't know what in the hell to do
to resolve them, especially at times like this.  I imagine that at least some
of them listen to their constituency, and look to their own moral code for
answers.   I would employ this as my operating asssumption.