< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Kosovo paradigms

by Richard N Hutchinson

15 April 1999 21:06 UTC

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Kevin J. West wrote:

> Some discussants on the Kosovo crisis have tried to link the NATO action
> to a larger, Western geopolitical agenda of expanding political and
> economic hegemony.  Making this link has generally involved the
> torturing of reason.  For example, though the violent conflict that has

It is true that some particular versions seem to be nothing more than
cobbled together conspiracy theories.  But as opposed to the below
argument (knee-jerk anti-imperialism), it seems clear to me that the
overwhelming tendency is knee-jerk "taking humanitarianism at face value."

It does not require any conspiratorial attitude or slavish adherence to
leftist doctrine to see, based on the historical record, that great powers
act in great powers' interests, not on behalf of suffering humanity.
This should be the operating assumption until proven otherwise, not the
reverse.

Richard Hutchinson