< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: a suggestion and one of my own

by Kharyssa Rhodes

03 April 1999 22:44 UTC

As a listowner myself, I feel that everyone who has participated in the
discussion thusfar have expressed valid concerns. However, enough is enough.
Had this "discussion" been carried out face to face over dinner, it was long
ago reduced to roll-throwing and mashed potato-flinging -- behaviour which
we should all agree is unacceptable.

It is in this vain that I copy the following general rules of etiquette from
my own list below. It would be lovely if everyone read these rules as it can
only add to the quality of our forum. Perhaps Dr. Chase-Dunn might consider
implementing some of these rules on WSN if the need is justified.

***************
Respect your fellow listmembers. On-list "flaming" is unwelcome. Likewise,
do not "flame" or otherwise harass listmembers off-list. Differing
viewpoints and even heated argumentation are acceptable and welcome, but
refrain from name-calling, profanity,  and commenting unfavorably on the
intellectual abilities, morals, training, spelling, parentage, bathing
habits, etc., of your fellow listmembers. Stick to the issues and to
arguments that contribute to the debate. We are professionals and should act
accordingly. Because our
field is specialized we are mostly familiar with each other and each
other's work, and such behaviour is simply not acceptable.

Pay close attention to what you post. Think carefully about what you post.
This list is archived. The archive is publicly accessible. The archive is
indexed by a search engines. What you post will be around for a
long time.

Pay attention to whether a posting should be public or private. Do not post
private mail to the list. Do not repost private mail without the explicit
permission of the writer.

When publicly responding to a posting pay close attention to
what you quote or copy from earlier messages. Quote only
enough to make your point. Do not repost the entire message.

If you read your mail in a single periodic session, please read
all the traffic you have accumulated before you respond to any
of it. If you receive it in digest form, read the entire digest before
you respond.

If you feel the need to respond to several messages in a single session,
bundle them together. If you find yourself sending more than three messages
in a single day, consider the possibility that you are sending too much.

Virtually any sort of question is welcome as long as the question
indicates thoughtfulness and demonstrates that locally available
resources have been exhausted.

Non-specific answers to specific questions are not welcome on-list.

Do not post essays or messages with enclosures. Do post short notices
offering to send such things to interested parties.

Scholarship depends upon the written and published results of research.
While short synopses of current unpublished research are welcome and
encouraged, email lists are not the place to argue ideas which your fellow
listmembers cannot follow up on in a library.

Ufology and modern occult readings of the texts are not appropriate for
discussion. Other topics that are generally not appropriate for
discussion include personal visionary and revelatory experiences.

While the discussion of eccentric ideas (even assuming such a thing can be
defined) is not forbidden, participants expounding such ideas should
recognize that the burden of proof is their responsibility. Not all ideas
are equal.

Kharyssa Rhodes
University of Colorado