< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Stop!

by Judi Kessler

30 March 1999 16:34 UTC

Why don't you all stop baiting this fellow, Proyect, and get on with
substantive business. It's over - Elvis has left the building. A network's
integrity is only as good as the collective civility of its members.
Ignore him - hit the delete button - surely you have something more
substantive that deserves the energy you are putting into this pointless
cyber-exchange.
	Only a junior scholar....

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Patrick Preston wrote:

> Dear WSN --
>
> If anyone out there needs further proof of the intentions of the
> indefatiguable, prolific, witless Mr. Proyect, please read the
> following.
>
> "If members of the
> world systems fraternity anticipate a less than civil response, then the
>
> solution is simple. Do not send me private posts or public posts
> challenging my ideas."
>
> I think that it is interesting that someone who identifies himself as a
> person trying to change society today will not suffer his views to be
> challenged.  This latest diatribe started out after his receiving a
> request for 'civility' in writing on the wsn list brings out a long,
> boring series of  'points' of how civility is a politicized term. Ugh!
>
> I am still digesting AGF's article on the NATO bombing, and have not
> previously commented on it for the list, but, I do have this to say. I
> too have been greatly troubled by the use of previously, exclusively
> defensive NATO to end the fighting in Kosovo. However, something must be
> done, and if no one organization has the ability and determination to do
> it, then NATO must. For the past 10 odd years we have watched the former
> Yugoslavia convulse in a series of bloody civil wars. The region must be
> stabilized. I don't why the world did nothing during the ethnic
> cleansing in Rwanda, but that inactivity can not disqualify us from
> acting now. Perhaps when the ethnic Albanians have stopped fleeing their
> burning villages and the murderous troops of Milosevic, perhaps after
> they have been fed and found whatever family members have been able to
> get out, perhaps when they are comfortably ensconced in their refugee
> camps,  they'll be kind enough to get online and give us their take on
> the situation.
>
> Patrick Preston

Judi A. Kessler
Department of Sociology
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
Office:
Institute for Social, Behavioral & Economic Research
(805) 893-5427
6500jk@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu