< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

ruminations from a Russian

by Peter Grimes

30 March 1999 05:25 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:46:40 +0000
From: Nikolai S. Rozov <rozov@nsu.ru>
To: Peter Grimes <p34d3611@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
Subject: (Fwd) ruminations

Date:          Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:48:22 +0300
From:          788 <judgin@CYBERAX.RU>
Subject:       ruminations
To:            PHILOFHI@YORKU.CA

Dears Sir,

First of all I have to admit that everything that I say could easily be
erroneous and falllacious, and I am, as a russian, impartial, but yet for
all that I would like to ruminate open a beautiful instance of great
ethical value. That is the warfare in Kosovo.

Actually the problem of Kosovo is a trifle case, despite its scorching
significance. But from historical viewpoint the problem of Kosovo is a
classical Kant's antinomy of the reality of the state existance and the
human rights. If we scrutinize the history we can easily find numerous pros
and contras of the Kosovo war.

The core of the Kosovo conflict is the intention of albanians to secede
from Yugoslavia. Yugoslavians (not Miloshevich alone) are against it. I do
not know how atrocious they are in respect of Albanians. It is irrelevant.
The very fact that they kill and suppress even one man is enough to charge
them with infrigement of human rights. As well as the yankees that waged a
very long war against the Southern States, as well as Turkey which
exterminated a lot more Kurds than the serbs Albanians, that Russians
killed Chechnians recently. Let alone that african nations murder more
people in ethnic strife. Why the Russia has not been punished. Or Turkey.
Actually it is basically the same case. Even worse. You may object that
Yugoslavia is close to EC. But it betokens that a life of an Englishman is
more important then the life of a noneuropean.

Yes I know that you could just say that a pot calls a cattle black. That
the bloody history of Russia negates Russia any right to scream for
justice. OK. I agree with you. But within the system of human rights of
pure justice it is still not fair. Since it appears that a country, laden
with neclear bombs, like China or Russia can come off easy and do whatever
it wants with chechnians or thibetains. and Yugosavia which is actally a
way milder, will get the dusting just because it did not have nuclear
weapons weapons.

In the time of Yore UK did not care a damn about the liberties of american
republic and send an army to prevent secesion of USA. In view of the
aforesaid fact I suggest to punish all repressive regimes according to the
degree of the humanitarian disaster they produced. And to allow Kurds to
set up their own state. Kurds are no way worse that albanians. And they
suffer more losses.

I think it is not fair. just not fair. not fair.or I am stupid.It could be
the case. Or too perfunctory.

Threfore for everybody who is willing let us run somehing sort of a vote.
It would be intresting to clarify the muddle of opinions. I have a sneaking
suspicion that the members of this list would answer differently against
the backround. It would be interesting to understand the national
diffrences. I would like you to support one of the following opinions.

A) The actions of NATO are fair and neccessary.
B) The actions of NATO are not fair but neccessary.
C) The actions of NATO are fair but not neccassary.
D) The actions of NATO are both not fair and not neccassry.

A) The actions of serbs against albanians are fair and neccessary.
B) The actions of serbs are not fair but neccessary.
C) The actions of serbs are fair but not neccassary.
D) The actions of serbs are both not fair and not neccassry.