< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Reply to Dr. Schott

by Louis Proyect

27 March 1999 22:12 UTC

At 04:47 PM 3/27/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Can we all agree to leave ad hominem issues to off-list modes of
>communication?
>		Sincerely,  kpm

Look, if a complete stranger told me in person what to say and what not to
say in a public forum, like an academic conference, I'd punch his fucking
teeth down his throat. I absolutely resent some professor telling me in
effect to get out of what he thinks is a faculty lounge. That's what his
message amounts to. I got news for you and all the professors on this list.
If you can't get stirred into feeling, thinking and acting about the most
critical moment in recent European history--the bombing of a sovereign
nation by NATO--then you should choose some other topic to make a living
from, like Statistics or Computer Science. You'll do less damage to your
students, who might be under the assumption that their studies had
something to do with ending social inequality.

Louis Proyect