< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

NATO, Kosovo, Russia

by Eberhard Wenzel

25 March 1999 11:22 UTC

On 25 Mar 99, at 11:12, Mike Procter wrote:

> Of course great power politics come into it, but I don't think many ethnic
> Albanians (or, indeed, what's left of the Bosnians) would recognize their
> relationship with Serbia as 'living in peace'.

I didn't refer to this relation, Mike. I was talking about the imperalistic
approach of the economic powerhouses of NATO to define what they may
call "live in peace" which refers to their assumption that peace is the peace
of economic freedom of those who can afford to live "on the right side of the
continent", whichever continent it may be.

NATO is assuming to be a UN peace-keeping force, which they are not as
the UN Secretary General made quite clear last night. NATO just occupies
this position and imposes its concept of "peace" on the rest of Europe.

Frankly, they don't care about any one person on ground. They're
concerned to "keep things under control" though this is a pretty useless
enterprise as it's impossible to control - life.

Eberhard Wenzel MA PhD
Griffith University
School of Public Health
Meadowbrook, Qld. 4131
Australia
Tel.:  +61-7-3382 1026
Fax:  +61-7-3382 1034
e-mail: e.wenzel@mailbox.gu.edu.au
WWW Virtual Library Public Health at:
    http://www.ldb.org/vl/index.htm

For every complex problem, there is a solution
that is simple, neat, and wrong.
H. L. Mencken