< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: knowledge and underdevelopment

by Jeffrey L . Beatty

12 March 1999 11:24 UTC

Hi again, Rachelle and others.

After I submitted the bibliography a couple of days ago, a couple of other
suggestions popped into my beady little brain:

Haas, Ernst B.  When knowledge is power: three models of change in
international organizations. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1990.

As you probably know, Ernst B. Haas is a long-time student of international
organizations.  His work includes seminal contributions to the literature
on functionalism, regional (political) integration, and (latterly) regime
theory.

You might also check out the literature on epistemic communities and
international regimes, popular in the early 1990s.  For a starting point
see the special issue of _International Organization_  (46, Winter 1992)
titled "Epistemic Communities and International Policy Coordination",
edited by Peter M. Haas.

Here are two final cites that treat of knowledge and representational
issues in regime theory.  They do not proceed from the world-system
perspective as such, but their use of constructivist and Foucauldian
perspectives might be of interest to you.

Keeley, James F. "Toward a Foucauldian analysis of international regimes."
_International Organization_ 44 (Winter 1990): 83-105.

Kratochwil, Friedrich, and John Gerard Ruggie.  "International
Organization_ 40 (Autumn 1986):  753-775.

--
Jeffrey L. Beatty
Doctoral Student

(o) 614/292-2880
(h) 614/688-0567
Email:  Beatty.4@osu.edu
I have come to the conclusion that politics are too
serious a matter to be left to the politicians--
Charles DeGaulle