< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Path to One Family Mentality/Please step over this disaster

by Bagelhole1

12 February 1999 17:26 UTC

>From Wingdwolf 2/11/99
"In other words, even if we figure out how to live sustainably ourselves,

we will not be safe so long as others are living unsustainably, which

suggests we need to devote our energies to remedying their problems,

perhaps focussing on those who are in the worst shape.

But as you rightly point out, the history of efforts to "help" or change

others is not good, often resulting in making more of a mess in the long run.

Any light that can be shed on how to resolve this dilemma would be welcome."

No one would  argue that 1999 is  not a "shaky" time for everyone, existence
has become more tenuous than ever. Possible disasters loom like ever-deepening
shadows. Y2K is a good example, of a possible huge disaster.

Circumstances have a way of changing people's thinking. Why don't we plan for
one of these disasters in the near future. This is the reason I am trying to
develop a list of low-tech, sustainable ideas. So that, people, who once
becoming aware of the possibility of disaster will want to implement these
ideas as quickly as possible, will have a way to do it. That is why they have
to be low-tech, simple, and cheap.

Then when and if the disaster actually happens, lives will be saved, martial
law will be averted, and the groundwork for sustainable, resilient,
autonomous, communities will be layed. From there, deep sustainability can be
developed. Simple?

Now, I have quite a few low-tech ideas, but could use more, and am seeking
volunteers to glean, cull, sift, check, and order them to make them easily
accessible, as soon as possible, on my up and coming website
<A HREF="http://bagelhole.hypermart.net/">http://bagelhole.hypermart.net/</A>,
to be presented on the <A HREF="http://www.cassandraproject.org/">cassandra
project</A> and from there to be shared thruout the internet and world. It is
a collaboration with
<A HREF="http://www.cairns.net.au/~sharefin/Markets/Alt11.htm">Alternative
Survival Information</A> and everyone else who wants to contribute.

															One family,
														Tom O (bagelhole1)