< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Regarding Africa.... Mende migration

by kpmoseley

08 February 1999 20:59 UTC

----__JNP_000_5570.141f.3dcc

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kpmoseley2@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 19:51:05 EST
Subject: Fwd: For CMK: Mende migration Re: What's up with the Mende

----__JNP_000_5570.141f.3dcc

From: "kohuneh" <kohuneh@PDQ.NET>
To: <leonenet@lists.umbc.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 01:16:35 -0600
Sender: owner-leonenet@lists.umbc.edu
	  by rly-zc04 (8.8.8/8.8.5/AOL-4.0.0)
	  Thu, 4 Feb 1999 02:43:33 -0500 (EST)
	for leonenet-outgoing@lists.umbc.edu; Thu, 4 Feb 1999 02:15:35 -0500 (EST)

Koi Meama Kajue,
The Kpa-Mendes are my "daemias."  I have to stay quiet before I get fined =
--
"taa nya yeya gole."  Let me take a last shot at the history of migration =
of

You are right about the history of the pattern of migration of the
"Mehni"/Mende into Sierra Leone. (some call it "Mani/Mane/Mandi" invasion.
I find all of these titles and names onjectionable for reasons I have argu=
ed
in my work on the Mende)  There is compelling evidence of a south-east to
southwestern pattern pioneered by the Kpa-Mende.  The Kpa Mende certainly
accomplished themselves militarily save for the botched campaign to
subjugate the Susus to the north.  There are claims that the isolated grou=
that was surrounded and cut off from the original group became the
Loko/Lohgoh.  Again, there is linguistic evidence and of course the blason
populaire of the claim to who must keep the inferior role in the avuncular
relationship -- who is "njagbe" and who asked for the "bony head" of the
sacrificial cow rather than the meaty carcass.

But then there are counter-claims that royalty stayed behind to administer
whilst military commanders/viceroys (the Kpa-Mende) did the dirty work of
expansion on their behalf.  The homogenous royalty stayed behind at
Koh --the top/head/source of the Mehni empire which straddled the forest
regions between western Liberia and eastern Sierra Leone--  whilst the
Kpa -- which was/is a motley army of "conquered people" --Bomu, Simba, etc
and Mehni military viceroys appointed by the Koh chiefs did the dirty work
in the west.  This partly explains why this group was referred to as
"Kpa-Gba Mende"  -- speakers of "Mehni" who are different.  Hill and
McCulloch (and there is a citation in Little) especially have attempted to
explain the differences between the two groups on the basis of evidence fr=
om
the physical anthropology.  I find the assessment unconvincing.  In realit=
though, the "Kpa-Mehni" conquering army transformed the economy, sociology
and politics of the conquered areas -- see again Walter Rodney, Arthur
Abraham and my work on Mende patterns of settlement.  But this group, -- K=
pa
Mehni -- for what it was, was also the most receptive of the culture of th=
"conquered people" (I don't like using the phrase).  Hence the marked
differences in most cultural and political practices as distinct from the
Koh and other Mendes.

Ngi Mende hindei hungia wa ha.  Gbeh naa ngi lehvu kulo.
Sewehmoi loh,
Koi Kagbeni of Koh and Bowo stock.
PK