< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Call for Papers

by G2000 Secretariat

08 February 1999 11:04 UTC

	Call for Papers
	Graduate Student Conference
	September 24-26, 1999
	University of Calgary
	Calgary, AB, Canada

The G2000 Organizing Committee located in the Department of Political
Science at the University of Calgary invites paper proposals from graduate
students for an international conference to be held September 24-26, 1999
at the University of Calgary entitled

	Globalization 2000: Convergence or Divergence?

The significance, causes, and implications of globalization are heavily
contested not only in the public debate but also in the academy.  Analyses
often merely focus on certain aspects of the phenomenon, frequently with
ideological underpinnings.  In this manner, it is debated whether
globalization is an 'old' or 'new' phenomenon, a 'good' or 'bad'
development, and whether the process is 'inevitable' or can be reversed.

The conference seeks to contribute to a more comprehensive and systematic
examination of the globalization process by emphasizing two aspects.
First, 'globalization' must be understood most generally as a social
phenomenon that transcends territorial frameworks.  In this vein, it
cannot be reduced to either 'internationalization' (proliferating
cross-border exchanges) or 'liberalization' (reduction of regulatory
barriers by states).  Instead, it must be analytically distinguished
between the economic, political, social, and cultural causes as well as
implications of globalization.

Second, in order to analyze the phenomenon in such an encompassing manner,
the conference will organized along three levels of analysis, one panel
devoted to the macro, intermediate, and micro levels, respectively.  The
panels attempt systematically examining various aspects of globalization
on a cross-national and interdisciplinary basis.

We are inviting papers that: (i) clearly spell out the respective
theoretical and methodological framework; (ii) address in a comparative
manner the overarching topic of the conference, namely whether
globalization is leading to a process of convergence or rather divergence
in the area examined by the author(s); and (iii) elucidate the policy
implications following from the respective analysis.

The overall question of the conference CAN be (but by no means need to be)
addressed on the respective levels of analysis in the following manner:

a) the relationship between the two overarching forms of social
organization, 'the state' and 'the market' (macro);
b) state policies/group strategies to shape and adjust to G
(intermediate);
c) shifting identities/loyalties of individuals (micro).

Across these levels of analysis, we are also interested in papers that
examine:
(i) the combination of factors has given rise the process of
globalization; and (ii) the causal link between them.

While all papers will be presented by graduate students, the panel chairs
will be academic experts in the respective fields.  In this way, the
conference attempts to foster a dialogue between the established scholars
and the next generation of social science students.

Paper proposals should briefly outline the respective aspects and must be
submitted, together with a curriculum vitae (CV), by either fax,
electronic or regular mail to the G2000 Secretariat below.  The proposal
should not exceed 500 words in length and must be received at the
conference secretariat by April 02, 1999.  Final papers are due August 27.

Travel and accommodation stipends will be given to those with accepted
papers.  We are also exploring the possibility of publishing the papers in
an edited volume.

As it becomes available, additional information will be posted on the
conference's web site, which we are currently establishing at
http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~g2000

	Globalization 2000
	c/o Department of Political Science
	University of Calgary
	2500 University Drive N.W.
	Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4
	Tel.: +1-403-220-4186
	Fax.: +1-403-282-4773
	Email: g2000@ucalgary.ca

[Apologies for cross-posting]

Call for Papers:

"Innovations: A Journal of Politics" is an interdisciplinary refereed
journal committed to publishing the best student work in the field of
politics.

Submissions will be reviewed by the Editorial & Management Board, and
suitable articles will be sent to two anonymous referees.  Maximum length
is 5,000 words.  Please submit three double-spaced, single-sided copies.
Accepted articles must also be submitted on disk.  Submissions should
include a cover letter including the author's institutional affiliation,
level of study and return mailing address.

Prospective authors are strongly urged to consult our 'Information for
Contributors' available on our web site.  Our web site also contains
details of our 1998 volume, and details on how to subscribe.  For this and
any further information please our web site at:

http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~innovate