< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread

Re: Info Request

by Judi Kessler

20 January 1999 17:07 UTC

Seems like *lots* of you are taking this course!
Thompson and/or Modelski, Giovanni Arrighi - and compare to classic W-S
line (Wallerstein, Chase-Dunn, Gunder-Frank, etc etc)

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Jeffrey L. Beatty wrote:

> At 10:42 PM 1/19/99 -0500, Hasmet Uluorta wrote:

> </bigger></fontfamily>

> increasingly interested in long wave cycles.  However, I am a unfamiliar
> with the various debates and approaches.  In order to address this
> deficiency, I have volunteered to focus on the topic for a semester
> course I am taking.  Could someone suggest some reading material that
> would aid me and get me started?  I thank you in advance for your
> assistance.
>
> </bigger></fontfamily>

> </bigger></fontfamily>

> <<mailto:hasmetu@yorku.ca>hasmetu@yorku.ca
>
> </bigger></fontfamily>
>
> </excerpt><<<<<<<<
>

> Check out the International Political Economy Network at
> http://csf.colorado.edu  Archived there will you find a bibliography by
> Jeffrey Hart.  The URL is
>

> http://csf.colorado.edu/cgi-bin/mfs/03/csf/ftp/ipe/Thematic_Archive/bibliography/ipe.bib.JHart94?1320#mfs
>

> I particularly recommend the following:
>

> Long cycles : prosperity and war in the modern age / Joshua S.
>
> Goldstein.  New Haven : Yale University Press, 1988.
>

> Rosecrance, Richard.  "Long wave theory and international relations."
> _International Organization_ 41 (Spring 1987):  283-301.
>

> For more recent work from a variety of perspectives, see
>

> Leading sectors and world powers : the coevolution of global politics
>
> and economics.  George Modelski and William R. Thompson
>
> Columbia, S.C. : University of South Carolina Press, 1996.
>

> Long-wave rhythms in economic development and political behavior.
>
> Brian J.L. Berry.  Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, c1991
>

> Mandel, Ernest.  Long waves of capitalist development : a Marxist
> interpretation : based on the Marshall lectures given at the University
> of Cambridge.  London ; New York : Verso, 1995.
>

> The rise and fall of the wealth of nations : long waves in economics
>
> and international politics.  Manfred Neumann.  Cheltenham, UK ; Lynne, NH
> : Edward Elgar, 1997.
>

> as well as the following journal articles.
>

> Global political order, economic change, and armed conflict: coevolving
> systems and the use of force. Pollins,-Brian-M.
>
> The-American-Political-Science-Review. v. 90 Mar. '96 p. 103-17
>

> Political cycles in international relations (book review)
>
> Marte,-Fred; Williams,-Marc, reviewer
>
> International-Affairs. v. 70 Oct. '94 p. 759
>

> The long cycle in international relations: a Markov specification
>
> Sayrs,-Lois-W
>
> International-Studies-Quarterly. v. 37 June '93 p. 215-37
>
> War-Mathematical-models; Cycles-; Markov-processes;
> International-relations
>

> History and international relations: long cycles of world politics
>
> Augmented title: review article
>
> Keenes,-Ernie
>
> Canadian-Journal-of-Political-Science. v. 26 Mar. '93 p. 145-54
>
> Cycles-; World-history; International-relations
>

> The possibility of cycles in international relations
>
> Augmented title: comment on N. Beck

> [...]

*****************************
Judi A. Kessler
Department of Sociology
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
Office:
Institute for Social, Behavioral & Economic Research
(805) 893-5427
6500jk@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread   | Home