< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Info Request

by Jeffrey L. Beatty

20 January 1999 09:46 UTC

At 10:42 PM 1/19/99 -0500, Hasmet Uluorta wrote:

</bigger></fontfamily>

increasingly interested in long wave cycles.  However, I am a unfamiliar
with the various debates and approaches.  In order to address this
deficiency, I have volunteered to focus on the topic for a semester
course I am taking.  Could someone suggest some reading material that
would aid me and get me started?  I thank you in advance for your
assistance.

</bigger></fontfamily>

</bigger></fontfamily>

<<mailto:hasmetu@yorku.ca>hasmetu@yorku.ca

</bigger></fontfamily>

</excerpt><<<<<<<<

Check out the International Political Economy Network at
http://csf.colorado.edu  Archived there will you find a bibliography by
Jeffrey Hart.  The URL is

http://csf.colorado.edu/cgi-bin/mfs/03/csf/ftp/ipe/Thematic_Archive/bibliography/ipe.bib.JHart94?1320#mfs

I particularly recommend the following:

Long cycles : prosperity and war in the modern age / Joshua S.

Goldstein.  New Haven : Yale University Press, 1988.

Rosecrance, Richard.  "Long wave theory and international relations."
_International Organization_ 41 (Spring 1987):  283-301.

For more recent work from a variety of perspectives, see

Leading sectors and world powers : the coevolution of global politics

and economics.  George Modelski and William R. Thompson

Columbia, S.C. : University of South Carolina Press, 1996.

Long-wave rhythms in economic development and political behavior.

Brian J.L. Berry.  Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, c1991

Mandel, Ernest.  Long waves of capitalist development : a Marxist
interpretation : based on the Marshall lectures given at the University
of Cambridge.  London ; New York : Verso, 1995.

The rise and fall of the wealth of nations : long waves in economics

and international politics.  Manfred Neumann.  Cheltenham, UK ; Lynne, NH
: Edward Elgar, 1997.

as well as the following journal articles.

Global political order, economic change, and armed conflict: coevolving
systems and the use of force. Pollins,-Brian-M.

The-American-Political-Science-Review. v. 90 Mar. '96 p. 103-17

Political cycles in international relations (book review)

Marte,-Fred; Williams,-Marc, reviewer

International-Affairs. v. 70 Oct. '94 p. 759

The long cycle in international relations: a Markov specification

Sayrs,-Lois-W

International-Studies-Quarterly. v. 37 June '93 p. 215-37

War-Mathematical-models; Cycles-; Markov-processes;
International-relations

History and international relations: long cycles of world politics

Augmented title: review article

Keenes,-Ernie

Canadian-Journal-of-Political-Science. v. 26 Mar. '93 p. 145-54

Cycles-; World-history; International-relations

The possibility of cycles in international relations

Augmented title: comment on N. Beck

Goldstein,-Joshua-S., 1952-

International-Studies-Quarterly. v. 35 Dec. '91 p. 477-80

Business-cycles-Political-aspects; War-Causes-of;
International-relations-Mathematical-models

The illusion of cycles in international relations

Beck,-Nathaniel

International-Studies-Quarterly. v. 35 Dec. '91 p. 455-76

Business-cycles-Political-aspects; War-Causes-of;
International-relations-Mathematical-models

Election cycles and war

Augmented title: part of a special issue on: Democracy and foreign
policy

Gaubatz,-Kurt-Taylor

The-Journal-of-Conflict-Resolution. v. 35 June '91 p. 212-44

War-and-politics; Elections-; Democracy-; International-relations

This should get you started at least.

--

Jeffrey L. Beatty

Doctoral Student

Department of Political Science

The Ohio State University

2140 Derby Hall

154 North Oval Mall

Columbus, Ohio 43210

(o) 614/292-2880

(h) 614/688-0567

Email:  Beatty.4@osu.edu

Facts are dangerous things--Ronald Reagan

Only to ideologues--Jeffrey L. Beatty