re: Implications of the "Business-As-Usual" Scenario (was: `please forward')

Tue, 28 Apr 1998 12:57:44 +0100
Richard K. Moore (rkmoore@iol.ie)

Sviatoslav Zabelin
Goldman Environmental Prize winner-93
Co-chairman of the Council of
Socio-Ecological Union, International
E-mail: svet@glasnet.ru
P.O.Box 211 Moscow 121019 Russia

Dear Sviatoslav,

Thank you very much for your excellent call to action, based on sound
systemic analysis.

You said:
> I feel certain that we simply have no time to wait. We do not
>have years to make critical decisions, only months, and I will repeat
>this sense of urgency a thousand times if it will help.
> I am sure that only a coalition of courageous peoples from
>different sectors, from different countries can give humanity a chance
>not to return to the Dark Ages with its murders, wars and plagues.

I am pleased to inform you that there are people who agree with you, who
have made a similar analysis, and who have launched precisely the coalition
you envision. I sincerely hope you will align your energy and vision with
our initiative. I have taken the libery of subscribing you to our the
coalition's networking list, which includes people from all over the world:
renaissance-network@cyberjournal.org

It is easy to unsubscribe, just send a blank message to:
and equally easy to subscribe, with a blank message to:
renaissance-network-subscribe@cyberjournal.org

Please visit our website to find out all about us:
http://cyberjournal.org

As a secondary issue, I must differ with part of your analysis. You say...
>In their book "Beyond the Limits" published in 1992 they repeated
>their calculations and confirmed that no significant changes occured
>during the past 20 years and the development of the world economy is
>still coinciding with the computer projections stated in "Limits to
>Growth".

There is a problem with using linear projections in this way, and that is
they discount the ability of those who control the system from responding
intelligently (from their perspective). There _have been significant
changes in the past 20 years, but they have been changes of _political
_control, the consolidation of the reins of power into the hands of the
capitalist elite.

It is not _yet in the interests of the elite to moderate the destructive
impact of traditional capitalist enterprise: it serves the important
purpose of furthering the destabilization of the nation-state world system.
This centuries-old world system is "thesis", globalization is
"antithesis", but "synthesis" is _not, I suggest, to be total systemic
collapse.

There are those who considered the Great Depression of the thirties a
`collapse' and a `disaster', but for the banks who grabbed up agricultural
land at bargain prices, and the warmongers who engineered WW-II out of the
chaos, it served a very useful purpose.

The standard marxist assumption that capitalism must, based on its own
premises, finally collapse, turns out to be also be based on a false linear
extrapolation, and fails to take into account the actual experience of
latter-day capitalism. That latter-day phenomenon is exemplified by the
petroleum industry, which long ago reached its essential global limits.

Instead of collapse, it transitioned from competitive capitalism into
fraternal market collaboration among the seven-sister majors. One might
say the actual capitalist endgame is a return to a kind of feudalism, with
the capitalist elite in the old role held by kings, popes, and landed
aristocracies. The same endgame is now being played out in every major
market segment, under globalization, as market after market comes under the
dominion of cliques of global mega-operators, who only compete marginally.

Finally, allow me to share this recently published article, which you may
find of interest...