Re: monocentric - polycentric - reorient

Thu, 12 Mar 1998 17:15:09 -0500 (EST)
wwagar@binghamton.edu

To a historian, which I am, "synchronic" is the antonym of
"diachronic." A synchronic approach to history assumes that things happen
in pretty much the same way all the time, that there is no significant
process of change and development over time. Structuralism in
anthropology is a good example of a synchronic mind-set. A diachronic
approach to history finds much change occurring over time. The
19th-century revolution of Historismus in historical studies (see
Friedrich Meinecke et al.) illustrates the diachronic mind-set. I am not
familiar with Andy's "translation," but it may be what the original user
of the term had in mind. Only he can tell us.

Cheers,

Warren