Prince Edward Island vs MAI: the revolution begins!

Thu, 29 Jan 1998 07:21:52 GMT
Richard K. Moore (rkmoore@iol.ie)

Elites act, revolutionaries plan, and events take control in unpredictable
ways. Marx expected revolution in the most industrialized countries; it
came elsewhere. Lenin schemed away in Switzerland and almost missed his
main event. Vietnam came along, and a New Left spontaneously arose. And
so on.

Would you have expected Prince Edward Island to launch globalism's
counter-revolution - to issue the "shot heard 'round the world"? There may
be earlier candidates for "first shot", but this one has all the makings of
a strong contender.

It raises a pike against the very center of globalism's advancing forces -
challenging frontally the usurpation of national sovereignty and
particularly the elevation of capital itself to supra-sovereign status.
The MAI is the very bullseye on the standard at the point of the globalist
advance.

France took a rebel stance, but on secondary issues, and is being adroitly
coaxed back into line. Cuba's stance is sufficiently radical, but
domination of the Third World has been perfected by five centuries of
imperialist evolution. Norway took a stand against the EU partly on
grounds of sovereignty, but has not made the necessary generalization to
globalization. Counter-systemic consciousness is coalescing in much of the
First World, but it has nowhere else reached expression at provincial level
as concrete and official government policy.

One is reminded of the assemblies in the American Colonies, when they began
to draft resolutions challenging the power of King George. As in PEI, the
rebels were not in the streets but in the halls of government. Each
referred to a legitimacy higher than that of their would-be oppressor: PEI
to Canada's constitution, and the Founding Fathers to the inalienable
rights of man.

Some colonies were in the vanguard, and needed to bring the others around
to the cause; PEI has a similar task before itself within Candada, as
(hopefully) will Candada within the West. But the right example in the
face of today's global political volatility can be like a match in dry
grass - that which seemed reasonably tranquil can turn rapidly into
unstoppable furor.

The American colonies had one particular advantage: they controlled their
own press and Royal propaganda efforts were ineffective. I don't know how
the Candadian press will treat the PEI initiative, but certainly in most of
the West it will be at first not covered, then downplayed, and finally
demonized. For the example to achieve its potential global effect, it must
be perceived widely and with appropriate emphasis, and the crows of
globalism must not be permitted to defuse the situation.

It is up to aware activists and leaders and writers to CREATE this event as
a focal point for solidarity, to USE it as a rallying cry, to make their
SUPPORT known to Canada, to ENERGIZE their various endeavors from the font
of solidarity, to PRESS the counter offensive, to EXPAND the scope of
consciousness and action, and to TURN elite reaction into MOTIVATION - to
GO with the flow and REINFORCE the flow.

The moment must be seized, all opportunities are precious, and the window
for action is closing fast. But the very possibility of real successes
creates a profound crisis: there must arise quickly a global strategy and
vision, a positive direction for radical change. A purely defensive
response cannot prevail, and is not a counter-revolution: the globalist
organizing paradigm can only be defeated by a superior organizing paradigm.
Hannibal out-fought the Romans for thirty years, but in defense of a
status quo that could not be restored, and he had to lose in the end.

There is an urgent need for both tactical aggressiveness and strategic vision.

Make the moment.

-rkm