Re: (Fwd) human rights doc

Tue, 08 Sep 1998 19:34:09 -0500
Judge (bernardo@gte.net)

Andrew Wayne Austin wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Judge wrote:
>
> > If you are well fed and sleeping in a warm bed better step outside
> > before telling anyone how cold it is or how hungry they are.
>
> Why? The problem is that most people who are well fed and sleeping in a
> warm bed do not care about how cold and hungry other people are.

That they stay in bed is a good thing. Being hungry, on the other hand, is
no entitlement on righteousness for telling others the way they should live
or what to believe. And if the warm and cozy should get out of bed to do
same then it could be construed as a serious case of political genius or what

is the same, arrogant stupidity.

> > I personally do not believe that humans are capable of understanding
> > what rights
>
> Are you claiming that there are rights but that most people are incapable
> of understanding them? What are the rights in your opinion?
>
> Andy

I believe people are incapable of recognizing another person well being
before that of themselves. Even Mother Theresa's motives have been
maligned. The most high ideals are first casualties when it comes down
to who should get the only piece of bread. There are exceptions granted,
but usually they do not last long enough to become the rule. In other words
the warm and cozy usually got the morsel first.

In between what you want and what I want there is a shadow line that
can be formalized as a contractual agreement and then named "a right".
If it is written down and enforced we may call it "a law". Many willfully
cross that line at the least opportunity to gain over their neighbor. If
I know the line is there, that it is wrong to cross it, and I give you of
mine
side, I may be called a person of the highest ethical and moral standards.
A civilized human being. Look around and tell me how many like that you see.

On the other hand warm and cozy persons that we are, talking about
how high are our moral standards is a great pastime, and a way of covering
the "taking of the last byte" by making noise so no one notices, we hope.

I would like to be proved wrong. So far (and looking back on a couple
of millennia historically speaking) no takers. Well maybe one, or two.

Regards;
Judge (not a civilized man)