Re: (Fwd) human rights doc

Tue, 08 Sep 1998 09:35:58 -0700
National Centre for Sustainability (ncfs@islandnet.com)

At 15:14 08/09/98 +0100, Mark Jones wrote in the throd or frouth exchange
following Nikolai Rozov's profession of support to the Univestrsal Declaration
of Humna Rights:
:
>Alfonso López Borgoñoz wrote:
>
>> The problem is that with the communism in Russia the people have
de-development, colonialism and imperial plunder, and not have civil rights
(yes, the communist elite have civil rights).

>> Best to do something and not only talk.
>
>Ah, right. You're one of those people who think Russians are better off as
they
>are: or perhaps you think that the Russians brought their 'bad luck'on
>themselves and do not deserve our sympathy let alone largesse; or you think
>that the holocaust they've endured since 1991 is actually because they
>STILL live under the 'Communist' nomenklatura so the catastrophe that has
>befallen them has nothing to do with the West, nothing to do with USAID and
the
>Harvard boys with their laptops which even the Austrian foreign minister just
>said should be kicked out of Russia; nothing to do with the proclivity Swiss
>bankers have for hoarding plundered wealth.... Yes, it's still those damn
>Commies, first they built industry, provided health, edcuation and welfare
>services, good mass transit systems, affordable housing and other red
>iniquities, then whimsically dismantled same for their own malevolent,
>inscrutable commie reasons...
>
>But the truth is, of course, that western imperialism alone is responsible
for
>the catastrophes which befell Russia this century, starting with Churchill's
>inspired idea for intervening in the Russian revolution, continuing with
>Hitler's butchery of the Russians, then with Truman's nuclear big stick, and
>now with the IMF/Sachs 'Final Solution', at the end of which Russia and the
>Russian people will have ceased to exist....

My short comment: (and first intervention on this list, which I find
disappointing in general)

Is there not a confusion between a support by one person to one extremely
important declaration of human rights valid(in principle) all over the planet,
and current woes of Russia? Who says that Mr. Rozov is indifferent to the
plight of his country now? Who says that there is only two options: (1) free
market with current plundering of Russia (and btw, the rest of the world) by
God knows what type of persons and (2) a return to Stalin's type of government
(which was certainly not communism in the real sense of the word)?

Where is common decency gone?

All the best,

Yves Bajard